Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Copy all My sub folders to Outlook (Office 2013)

We have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 and this product includes Outlook. A POP3 account has been created and all our VM Emails are being copied to Outlook (office).

However, we have also used My folder to create many sub folders and seek the assistance of the VM Community on how to copy sub folders into Outlook (office). For example: is there an export feature somewhere within the VM Email client? 

We are currently moving the Email content within a single sub folder into one of the empty system folders and a copy appears within Outlook (office). However, this is a labourious process and we are wondering if anyone has come across how to export a copy of all their sub folders. For example: does VM give customer access to their individual email storage location and where is it? 

Thank you in anticipation for the communities' assistance. Kind regards. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Copy all My sub folders to Outlook (Office 2013)

Create a new account in Outlook for the email address concerned using the IMAP settings. This will sync all the folders from VM webmail to your Outlook client.

POP3 settings will only download the contents of the inbox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello , thank you. Did not know that IMAP copied all the sub folders (unlike POP). 

Have created the IMAP account in Outlook (office) and copy of all the sub folders arrived without opening my VM Email account. 

Not sure if Outlook (office) IMAP account included copy of the 'old' archive VM Emails. 

Very pleased with your advice. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Be aware that unlike POP3 changes made to IMAP account are reflected on the server either immediately or when next online, for example server copy of an email is retained when copying to a local folder but not when moving; email on server is either moved to Trash folder or permanently deleted.

BTW do remember to take regular backups of your emails.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello @用心棒, thank you for your cautionary clarification. From an Outlook (Office 2013) perspective . . . 

Fortunately, VM webmail has removed their advanced settings menu, so there is no toggling between POP and IMAP protocol. Both IMAP/STMP and POP/STMP data file versions of the VM webmail account are allowed to coexist within Outlook (office).

Outlook (office) creates an IMAP account which is a dynamic mirror of the VM webmail account. A synchronising bar appears in the bottom status bar of Outlook (office) and changes are instantly updated in the offline VM webmail account. The IMAP account in Outlook (office) has now done its job of creating a mirror of all the sub folders and can now be disabled (not deleted) to prevent further dynamic mirroring.

The POP account in Outlook (office) is retained so that VM emails can be sent and received. 

We created an Office account that is not connected to any external email account and this is our consolidated archive of all email data. Swapping between ISPs can be undertaken with minimum delay. 

Thanks to @用心棒 for the by the way (BTW) reminder to take regular backups of your emails. We create regular backups (copy) of our storage media. This is prudent because all data storage media has a limited life. We have had unexpected catastrophic failure of two data storage media that could not be recovered and the first copy was substituted so that normal service resumed. 

Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@crimsom 

I can't help feeling that you are making a rod for your own back here, and possibly have become 'stuck' on what is now an outdated method of working with email.

IMAP is a protocol (that's what the P stands for) for communication between a client and the actual email mailbox server itself. It is perfectly possible to send and receive email using it, there really is no need to mess around with POP3 now. If you set up an IMAP connection, as you have seen, it 'mirrors' the folder structure and contents between the mailbox server and your local client, if you type up and send an email, what basically happens (this is something of an over simplification) is that the email is put into the Outbox on your local cached copy, this get mirrored to the server. The server processes this and sends the email out, moving it to the Sent Items which then is reflected back on your machine. If you want, you could still move a chunk of emails or entire folders to a local PST file and then delete them from the server, but unless you find yourself running out of space on the server then I'm really struggling to find a good reason for wanting to do this rather than just leave them where they are.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can think of one reason to continue to use POP as well as IMAP.

Imagine a situation where your emails are lost from VM's servers, through no fault of your own. The next time your email client synchronises with the servers using IMAP this loss is mirrored in your client, and you lose all your local copies as well.

As VM do not backup users data there would no way to recover them. I know users are meant to backup their own data files but this would have to be done on a daily basis. That's not realistically something which will/can be done by everybody.

Using POP, at least you have a local copy of your downloaded and sent emails, as well as your local folder structure, which can be backed up by the user more easily.

Should you change ISP and lose your existing access to your email account you will still have access to your historical emails.

I know IMAP is the recommended method of accessing emails now, and call me old fashioned, but I prefer to have more control over my data than IMAP alone provides.

One size does not fit all.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Between POP polling and IMAP (IDLE) real time notification there is the possibility of a message/messages being missed when next polled. A more robust solution might be to just use IMAP and (email client) filter rules to copy new/sent messages to local folders.

0 Kudos