Menu
Jon3179
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Contact someone about Virgin.net mail

Long story short, my mother died in August 2020, and I need access to her virgin.net emails... I tried logging in and clicking "forgotten password" and it told me to ask my father (he'd set her account up), but as he died in 2009 that's a bit tricky!

Got hold of someone on chat who did some verification and got the phone password sent by mail addressed to my father, so I could call in and get access.

Can't get past the phone system without either a phone number or account number (which I don't have) and the online chat option seems to have vanished from the site.

Does anyone have a link to a chat window, or any clues as to how to get round this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contact someone about Virgin.net mail

Hello

Is the email address still assigned to a Virginmedia broadband account, as if it isn't then I am afraid that all the support staff can do is too delete the account, as normally when an account is closed the email address is deleted after 90 days, as per terms and conditions only customers who have a Broadband account can use a virginmedia email address like virgin.net.

Have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 and https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Closure-of-former-customer-email-accounts/m-p/4092021

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We need to level with you. This request is likely to prove futile. VM follow strict data protection rules which means that they would normally deny access to this kind of data to third parties. While it might be the case that could have accessed the data had you been given or discovered the password the account and the emails within it should have become inaccessible on the sad passing of your mother. If her will had contained provisions allowing for third party access after death (mine does\) the position might be different. Remember it isn't your data to access.

However VM staff here might wish to investigate further with you. In order to avoid further delay I will ask them to look at this immediately. Wait here for further contact. But please don't build up your hopes.

And, of course, condolences on your loss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jon3179
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You're quite right they should deny access to third parties, however most companies are willing to allow executors or relatives access in the case of death... and certainly the person i spoke to was happy to help and provide part of the answer... so I am still hopeful!

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Jon3179,

Thanks for posting this on here and sorry to hear you're having some issues. 

My condolences to you as I know it can be a difficult time for you, but I will do my best to help you as best as we can. 

Just some clarification on this, were you the executor of this account? 

As if so, then we can certainly gain access to the emails but please do let us know. 

We may need some details of the account if you can provide any, but we will take one step at a time 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide