Menu
Sillup
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Connections to the server “imap.virginmedia.com” on the default ports timed out.

I've been having exactly the same problem for a couple of weeks now. It's driving me mad. Nothing has changed at my end so it must be VM. When I contacted them last week they admitted there was a problem with email which they were working on. They must have changed something because it's been fine for years! I'm getting really fed up with it!

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connections to the server “imap.virginmedia.com” on the default ports timed out.

Hi Sillup

Thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the email issues. How's the service been since posting? 

If still the same, is this affecting webmail and email clients or just one of them?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Sillup
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connections to the server “imap.virginmedia.com” on the default ports timed out.

Hi John

Thanks for your response. It seems to have settled down - fingers crossed it says that way.

Sue

0 Kudos
Stevesib
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have been having the same problem for quite a while now on my iMac using apple mail with an ntlworld email address. The biggest pain is the non sending of emails.

I have checked spamhaus and my external server is on the PBL list but nothing else. I have set up my account exactly as instructed to do so on the VM site...and re done it,...... and re done it....    

My Mac is running Sierra which can no longer be updated - is this a problem?  All my other Apple gadgets are working fine, and so is mail through the VM site.

Any ideas please

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevesib,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your email account on your iMac and can understand it may be frustrating for you. Can you tell us the exact error you see and whether the actual port is mentioned? Can you receive emails okay but just cannot send?

Please tell us the actual settings you've used and whether you're able to use a different email client to see if it's the same.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Stevesib
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello Lisa

Today I had an Alert - The attempt to read data from the server imap.virginmedia.com failed

I have just had the following when trying to send an email

"The connection to host smtp.virginmedia.com on port 465 failed.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent."

I also get the Alert stating that the map.virginmedia.com on the default ports timed out

I am receiving email just fine, it is the sending on the iMac in Apple mail that is a problem. I can send messages from the iMac if in the VM site and my iPad, iPhone have no problem.

everything on the iMac is set up exactly as told to do on the VM website for an ntlworld.com email address.

Steve

0 Kudos
BlueBox
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi i am getting the same problem receiving email is fine  but sending email is a issue  for the last  few weeks now (ntlworld )

0 Kudos
SinaLondon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi I had the same issue with Blueyonder. Service has been patchy over theist 10 days or so with internet, webmail and sending emails. 

What solved it for me was to delete the IMAP account from Mail and then set up again. Exactly the same details, but somehow somewhere the glitch was solved and it sends now.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevesib,

Can you confirm whether the email application you're using on your iMac and can you try a different email application on it to test? Do you have a different device to try and use the email application to see if it shows the same behaviour and using the same settings as this link ?

Are you able to try what @SinaLondon suggested and delete your email account from your devices completely and then re add it to one device to see how it behaves?

Thanks,

Lisa 

0 Kudos
Stevesib
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am using the a apple mail application on my Mac. This is the one that does not work. I have uninstalled / deleted and reloaded it more times than i have been able to send emails! It makes no difference. I can send emails through the virgin email app.... and my iPad and iPhone work fine.

0 Kudos