cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused and confusing

Gillian65
Tuning in

Good afternoon,   I am sure this will have been asked before but I can't find the help that I am looking for!

When trying to log into my email account I could not gain access and so it asked me to change my password, i think I did this, but I can not with any password gain access to my email account and now I have no idea if I did change the password or didn't, I get to the forgotten your password page, enter my Date of Birth and the relevant security question answer, it takes me to a choose a new password page and I enter a completely new password twice and then when i go to confirm it says "you can't use that password, choose another"  I have tried this so many times I really do not know which password would be the one to unlock my account.  I am trying to forward an email I have received and can now not access the email for any device!  Please can some one help me.  I have received no email today  so am certain I have changed the password somewhere along the line but have no idea when and what to.  

G

4 REPLIES 4

Gillian65
Tuning in

Having had no response I have tried, alternate search engine, checked all updates and still nothing, I am surprised no-one has any pearls of wisdom to help this very confused person to regain control of their email, if no one has any ideas on that does anyone have any guidance on which way to go next, please.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gillian65 wrote:

if no one has any ideas on that does anyone have any guidance on which way to go next, please.

It's difficult to come up with any pearls of wisdom I'm afraid but here are my suggestions / observations:

1) Resetting your password

You could try resetting the password again making sure that your new password:

• is one that you have not used before
  • is between 8-10 characters long
  • starts with a letter.
  • contains at least one number.
  • but does not contain any special characters (such as # @ &)

To the best of my knowledge those are the only password requirements that VM set but possibly the max length may have been increased beyond 10.

2)  Resetting the password is not the end of the story. Your VM email account is at grave risk of being deleted.

Looking at your posting history it seems that you closed your VM broadband account earlier this year.

If that is the case are you aware that under VM's terms and conditions VM can close any VM email accounts that were linked to your broadband account 90 days after your broadband contract ended?

VM never give any warning before closing an "orphan" email account. Their first step is to remove access to the Webmail account; that may be what has already happened in your case and why you cannot access your email account right now.

Even if you can regain access to your email account you need to be aware that it could disappear for good at any time. You really need to set up a new email account and move on from VM as soon as possible. Here's some options https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 

Sadly, if it is more than 90 days since your VM broadband account ended then VM support staff will not be able to provide any assistance to you with regaining access to your email account.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful but I felt that you did need a heads up regarding the risk you are running by continuing to use your VM email account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your response, I have had the email account for over 15 years and not much of that time were we actually with VM which is why it is suddenly not available, thanks though!

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Gillian65, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised surrounding being able to access your emails.

As @coenoby has mentioned, once an account has been disconnected for over 90 days, the email address can be disconnected by us as it does need to have an active Virgin Media account associated to it in order to work - sometimes this can happen well after 90 days though.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused here, but if you do require any further help then please don't hesitate to let me know.

Many thanks

Tom_W