Menu
gerrymcb
Settling in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Compromised email account.

my ntlworld.com seems to have been hacked , have had mails from various retailers - ebay,amazon plus msoft - indicating someone trying to reset psswrds against my accounts with these providers. also rcvd a msg delivery failure purporting to be from my email address to a group of people with what looks like a payment request in french.

who should I be reporting this to, do I need to delete this email account or will a password update make any difference ? . do I assume that they can send emails under this address and see all the responses.

any help appreciated

gerrymcb

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Compromised email account.

Read this and be sure not miss out any steps. You do not need to report except to the police or action Fraud if something actually illegal has occurred:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

It will be complex if you need to recover control of your address because of a password change but follow the guidance and you can sort it yourself

And it will always be wise to scan with something like "malwarebytes" (free trial version from the malwarebytes site only).

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gerrymcb, 

Sorry to hear of this. Have you tried changing your details?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Whenever you think an account has been compromised - first thing to remember is that they can only continue using the account if they can still get in.

So the first thing to do is change your password, and also consider changing your security question and answer to something obscure as well.

This can be done by logging in to my.virginmedia.com and going to the My Profile section if it's the main account, or the manage accounts section if it's a secondary email address you've added.

More advice can be found here.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-compromised-mailbox-alert

Once you've changed the password, you need to check any and all online accounts linked to the account.  For that reason I persoanlly strongly advise AGAINST deleting a compromised email account.

TLDR 

1. Take back control.
2. Assess the damage.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS wrote:

Hi Gerrymcb, 

Sorry to hear of this. Have you tried changing your details?

Kind regards,

With respect John - while there are times when this posting style might be appropriate - this isn't one of them.  This isn't Twitter.

Tim

0 Kudos
gerrymcb
Settling in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks for swift reply. when I tried to access the link you sent I get this when 

1. I try to sign into my virgin acct:   

Sorry, we have a problem

Either the link you clicked is broken, the page has moved or you typed the address wrong.

Take me to:

My Virgin Media home

Virginmedia.com

Help & Support

OR

2. when I try and sign into my email account

Sign In

The page you requested does not exist

I had tried these links earlier prior to coming on to these boards as they used to work for me . not sure why they don't now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@gerrymcb 

What link? I have just tested the links I posted and the one ravenstar68 posted and they are working well. We have come to this through two different but highly related links and pieces of advice from VM.  You could try to clear your browser cache and cookies to see if that gives you access. 

If your think your e-mail password as been changed already then log into my My Virginmedia and when you see the log-in screen enter your username and then click the "forgotten password link". That is the route through this one.

Can I just add one thing in the light of the exchange that has taken place above. The essence of this Forum is that VM users help other VM users to reach solutions by the provision of detailed and known to work advice. We have the luxury of being able to use more than 140 characters to do this. And we know the advice works because we have provided these solutions over and over again with proven results and proven feedback. We do need to call in the help of the VM staff that support this Forum, from time to time. In this case if you have real difficulty getting in to change the password I would expect @John_GS and his colleagues to jump in quickly and help. 

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
gerrymcb
Settling in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks all for help, was able to get virgin media  login via my Samsung tablet but not through IE on Windows 10 hence my query earlier. have reset amended password and security question and changed passwords on other sites. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When you say reset - I hope you mean changed the password!!

It may seem pedantic, but on this it's important to be clear.  If an accounts been compromised DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD.

Sorry - when it comes to security I like to make sure there are no ambiguities.  I have had people reveal their passwords on here (although they didn't realise it) and then ignore my advice to change said password.  So I know that not everyone uses common sense here.

Tim

0 Kudos