Menu
exciton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Combing partner’s email address to my account?

Hi all,

My partner and I both had VM accounts but as we now live in the same house she cancelled hers.  Is it possible to have her old VM email account transferred/added to mine so that she can still use it in the future and will not lose her old email?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Combing partner’s email address to my account?

Hello

The only available option would be a move and transfer, which I am afraid will remove you email accounts, it isnt possible to add a single email address her account to yours.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

can't be done. someone will lose the address.

Accounts can only be moved in batches. so its all or nothing.
If you do a move and transfer it will move the old account to the current one and delete anything on the current account.
0 Kudos
exciton
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info.  As it stands I am not using my email (I use gmail) so it would be possible to move hers over? Does anyone know of a direct link to the team that I would need to contact as I am normally passed from pillar to post when I call VM and spend hours on the phone....

Cheers Mark

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

If you hang around the forum a member of staff will pick this up in a couple of days.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
exciton
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - much appreciated!

0 Kudos
exciton
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@virginmedia team 

Any recommendations as to the best team to contact to have the old email address connected please?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to resolve it for you.

Regards Mike

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am going to sound a very loud and harsh warning about this idea which is utterly misconceived and dangerous. Other VIPs have sounded this before me inn this thread but that has clearly not been heeded. I hope when the VM Forum Team reach this thread they will agree and abandon any idea of pursuing this.

This is not just about who uses what e-mail. If this transfer were to take place your partner's e-mail address and password is likely to become the controlling credentials for the account. That means your partner's details would control access to My Virginmeda, billing account and personal details and all other manner of account related issues. Your partner would also control access to the creation of new email addresses. That is a consequence of the VM single sign on system which uses one set of credentials for e-mail access and account issues. You cannot simply add addresses to an account. They have to be moved as a bundle and they replace all existing account addresses. That is how the system is built. It shows up the folly of using ISP e-mail linked addresses as your mail e-mail. All flexibility goes.

In my view it is the height of folly to give account control to someone else, no matter how much you trust them now. We have seen many situations in which partnerships fall apart and regaining control becomes fraught, argumentative and sometimes downright impossible following a split up.

The move and transfer process as this referred to by VM was designed to be used when an account holder changes address so that the old e-mail address can continue to be used. Its use seems to have been extended over the years I have been here (and perhaps I have been guilty of exploring this). What I know now from further experience it's use should be curtailed to its intended purpose. 

The VM Team and and you are free to ignore me and go ahead with this, because it is technically possible. But don't say you haven't had a clear warning of what can happen when things don't work out as expected.

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi exciton,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums. @HowardML, has some very valid points, that it isn't just a mailbox migration. The email is a component of the entire media account with all the access and controls as Howard mentioned. If you still like to move forward with this, I can send you a PM to get this done. Just keep in mind this is an irreversible process.

Cheers,

Corey C