Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Closure of my VM email account

My VM email account is due to close down soon as I've cancelled my VM broadband at a previous home address.

Is it possible to arrange for any future emails sent to my VM account to be forwarded to another ISP email address? I have had to give the VM address to a lot of organisations recently, following a bereavement. I didn't know at the time that I would lose the account, and therefore didn't make a note of who I gave the address to so am unable to notify them of any change.

Please make any explanations or solutions simple as I'm not very clued up on tech stuff!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Closure of my VM email account

Hello

Once the email account is closed you will not be able to forward the emails to another account, as the email address will no longer exists.

To forward emails open up webmail at https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox

Once logged in click on the 3 lines at the top right of the webpage and then click on settings, when the settings open up, click on email in the left hand column, and then click on auto forward, once this opens up put a tick in enable and fill in the email address to forward too.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike,

I've done what you suggested, now I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Regards,

Sue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

90 days after your broadband service is terminated your email addresses should be permanently deleted¹ but until then you can continue to access them with an email client; be aware this period is to allow you to make alternative arrangements for your email.

Consider finding an email service:

• with security that is equal to or greater than the service it will be used with;
  • that is independent of any ISP to avoid the situation you find yourself in now.

¹ Lack of diligence means sometimes email addresses are not deleted after 90 days, do not be tempted to continue using them as Virgin Media can remove them at anytime and without further notice. If the email addresses remain active after 90 days create a new post requesting their deletion to avoid any possibility of their exploitation in future.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,
I have created a new account, and am contacting as many people as I can to notify them.