Menu
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 91 of 112
Flag for a moderator

Re: Closure of former-customer email accounts

@Rodtheplod wrote:

Thanks Coenoby,

, any provider that you use will have access to your mail, but Google are on another level IMHO). Having said that, I do have a Gmail account, but I generally use it for non-important mail.

I certainly take your point but to be fair, my concern with the security of VM's email offering is just how easy it is for anyone to have access to your VM email account.

Just relying on a password with maximum of 10 letters and numbers (special characters not allowed!) is pretty poor in  my opinion. And the password reset process is a scammers delight too.

Judging by the number of people who come onto this board and the security section of the community forum who have had their VM email accounts hacked and used as a jumping off point to hack various online accounts such as Amazon and Ebay, it clearly offers no protection from scammers.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 92 of 112
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby wrote:

Just relying on a password with maximum of 10 letters and numbers (special characters not allowed!) is pretty poor in  my opinion. And the password reset process is a scammers delight too.

Yeah it's not perfect by any means. Virgin Media should really be offering two-factor authentication to log in to their services. They do really seem to be behind the times with this all!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 93 of 112
Flag for a moderator

Like others, I have had a virgin.net email for 20 years. It has quite suddenly ceased to function. I received no notification that this would happen. I'm a little shocked at Virgin as I always had them down as a good and ethical company.

What is very worrying is that I use this email for work purposes. I have hundreds of invoices saved in a folder which I will need to complete my tax returns. If I cannot access those, this will be a complete an utter disaster.

Would it be possible to have access again for a period of 24-48 hours, just so I can download my messages, invoices and contact all relevant people?

This would be so helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 94 of 112
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As long as you still a VM broadband account holder then the  support staff can certainly get you access, but I am afraid that if you are not then the only thing they can do is too make sure that the account is close, as your entitlement to use a VM email address ceased after 90 days after the account was closed.

Regards Miike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 95 of 112
Flag for a moderator

But the Virgin broadband account was closed 15 years ago. It was functioning perfectly up until a couple of days ago. It certainly isn't the case the address ceased 90 days after the account was closed!

I have been using that account WITHOUT a virgin broadband account for 15 years with no problem! Why shut it down now without warning?

I'm only asking for a few hours access. That must be possible, surely?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 96 of 112
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Any account that hangs around for more than 90 days could be closed at anytime, the T&C are quite clear with the 90 day rule although some email accounts may be missed by the orphan clear out.

If there is no account attached to the email address the support staff can only make sure it is deleted, it will not allow them to give access to anybody of an orphaned account.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 97 of 112
Flag for a moderator

Wow, just wow.

What a thoroughly nasty and uncaring company Virgin has turned into.

I used to have so much respect for them, too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 98 of 112
Flag for a moderator

Makes no difference if you are still a customer or not. Virgin stopped me having access to my virgin.net emails with no notice. This email address was linked to my account and had been for over 25 years. There was no other account linked according to My Virgin details. After numerous phone calls I still have no access to all my old emails although I have been able to forward newly arriving emails to my gmail account (bizarre!). Very poor show of Virgin. They now state that this email address is no longer listed as linked. I've no idea why or how that happened given that it was operating fine up until 2 months ago when this sorry saga started. I am still furious and frustrated. It is still causing me no end of problems as I try and retrieve lost information by time consuming alternative routes such as old bank statements etc. Some information I don't even know I have lost... No one seems to be able to explain how this linked account was suddenly unlinked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 99 of 112
Flag for a moderator

When VM close legacy email accounts it's usually webmail access which is first to go. Client access is denied shortly after.

You may be able to access your account by using an email client, but you'll have to be quick.

Try setting up an email client, for POP access, to download your emails to be held locally. Be aware that only emails in your Inbox will be downloaded. If you have other folders set up their content will not be available.

Run your email address through https://mailtester.com/ and if it comes up green with "E-mail address is valid" you may have a chance.

Be aware that even if mailtester gives the result above it just means the email address is still active, however you may find your access to it has been revoked.

Worth a try though.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 100 of 112
Flag for a moderator

This still does not answer my question about how it is justifiable to randomly stop access to a linked email address. I very nearly missed notification of a friend's diagnosis of a terminal disease. In fact I have been able to get emails diverted to a gmail account now (still marked with the virgin.net address) this was done using an old password which should not really have worked. No other email client would accept the email address and what should have been the current password. The email address is still listed as active when searched for on mail tester. Customer services had previously (approx 3 years ago, years after the virgin.net Talk Talk fiasco)  linked the virgin.net email address with my virgin media account and at no point did they say that I was going to encounter a problem and that I should change my email and save old emails as soon as possible. Everything was working smoothly for years so what suddenly changed and why was I given no warning?

0 Kudos