Menu
lynn10
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Closing hacked NTL account

My virgin account has an NTL email address that has been hacked and periodic attempts are made to use Amazon etc and it receives a lot of spam. I want to shut this account down so that it cannot be used at all. It constantly worries me and I'm not looking for alternative such as changing passwords (all that's been done several times, Amazon account closed etc etc). I have spoken to Virgin and they have changed my log in email to my gmail address but my NTL account is still active.

I have looked at previous posts and get the impression that closing this primary account is not possible? Can you confirm this? My only option appears to be to cancel my Virgin contract completely and start again? This seems rather drastic but I would prefer this to continuing with the hassle. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Closing hacked NTL account

I'll keep this short but not so sweet. Nothing can be done to delete your primary account. Changing the username as VM has done was simply futile. It doesn't remove the underlying email address. It would have not stopped the spamming. The primary account address is baked into VM's single sign on system and you still need it to access My VM. If you don't access your primary address for 150 days VM will disable it for email purposes.

I should add that if a password change doesn't stop the spamming etc then it indicates that you have some malware on your device that is continually disclosing your password. You should do a proper malware scan. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lynn10
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for info. Password change did work but regular 'attempts' are made to use address on Amazon. Virgin have now told me to wait 90 days and account will be deleted? Is it safe just to ignore the account?
Thanks
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The account will never, repeat never, ever be deleted. I told you what would happen after 150 days in my first reply. VM have not given you accurate information. After 90 days the address is suspended if it is not accessed,  but not deleted. After 150 days if it has not been accessed it is disabled but not deleted; so email sent to it will be bounced back.. It can't be deleted because it is part of the single sign on system that lets you access all of My Virginmedia functions, like your bills etc.

So far as Amazon is concerned There is not much you can do about it. Deleting the address won't help anyway because all Amazon check for is a email address with a valid format. Not whether the address exists.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @lynn10

Welcome to our Community Help Forums 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding deleting your NTL account.

Unfortunately, as this NTL address is your primary account, we are not able to delete the email address for you. If you do not access your NTL account within 90 days then your NTL account will be suspended, meaning it will be disabled for email purposes. But  as this NTL email is your primary account email, the email address will not be deleted. It is perfectly safe to just ignore the account if you wish for it to become suspended 🙂

Thanks,

Serena

coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@lynn10 wrote:
Is it safe just to ignore the account?

Just to clarify the definition of "do not access your NTL account" as mentioned by HowardML and  Serena_C.

1.  If you manage or view your emails via an email app or client on one or more of your devices you need to be aware that merely checking for new emails via the app counts as "accessing". That means that Virgin Media will never disable your  Ntlworld address.  Therefore you need to either disable any email apps from accessing your Ntlworld account or simply delete that account from those apps.                                                 
  2. However, if you do not use an app but always use the Virgin Media Webmail service on the VM website to manage or view the account, then just don't sign in to that email account. 😉

I hope that makes sense.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer