cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing down a hacked and unsupported ntlworld account

Bevjacobson
Joining in

I have had an ntlworld account for many years. Four years ago we moved area and there is nor virgin broadband in our new area and although we still used our ntl emails we no longer have a virgin account and were told our ntl emails would no longer be supported. Recently ntl email was hacked and the password changed by the hacker so I no longer have access to it and need to delete the account. Please advise. 

7 REPLIES 7

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bevjacobson wrote:

Please advise. 

The Forum Team (Virgin Media staff who support this forum) can arrange to have the account deleted for you. One of them will contact you via this thread.

There is only a skeleton staff on duty over the holiday period so it may be into the New Year before they contact you.

As an aside, depending what evidence you have that the account has been hacked it is possible that your email account has not been hacked but has recently deleted by VM.

Sometimes rather than delete the account completely VM simply remove access to the VM webmail account but leave the mailbox open. That leads to the situation where you lose access to the webmail account on the VM website but email apps still receive spam emails sent to that email address.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bevjacobson thank for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns regarding your NTLworld email account.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into this request for you.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Alanjacobson
Joining in

Hi, I am re-posting this query in the thread with regards Bev's problem below as her email account (which is the one she is trying to close) is a secondary email on my account. Therefore as the primary account holder I am making a request for support please.  

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks 

Alan

As its an NTL email, you should be speaking to them.....

>>YOU<< should also have control of any associated accounts

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@scrd01 wrote:

As its an NTL email, you should be speaking to them.....

The history of NTL is interesting.

NTL took over Virgin.net in 2004 and, after NTL merged with Telewest in 2006, NTL:Telewest signed a deal with the Virgin Group to rebrand themselves as Virgin Media. https://telecoms.com/8383/ntl-telewest-gives-birth-to-virgin-media/ 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Alan 👋 welcome to the community, thank you for joining the thread and posting. Sorry to hear Bev is still trying to get support with this. 

As the primary account holder, you should be able to delete secondary email accounts via your My Virgin Media account 👉 virg.in/myVM or in our webmail service 👉 https://virg.in/webmail.

I will also send you a PM to offer further support with this just in case you are unable to do so! Thanks for your patience whilst we get this sorted. We can return to this public thread with an update when possible. 

All the best 🌞

Molly

Hi All! 👋 Just returning to the public thread to keep things updated. 

Thanks to Alan for PMing with me. 📨 We have now deleted the email address in question and all is resolved. 

Glad to be of help! Let us know if there is anything outstanding you still need and I will be happy to offer further support. 

Wishing you all the best 🌞

Molly