Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Closing an old ntlworld email account

Hi there,

Recently my NTLWorld account email address has been hacked. I have switched everything over to another email address I have but I just need to get my NTLWorld one closed down as someone keeps sending stuff to people from it.

I used to be a customer of NTL (and then VirginMedia) for a number of years but am now with another supplier. My old ntlworld email address has obviously been hacked as friends are getting emails from me with links in them. My old log in details no longer seem to work. How do I close it please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Closing an old ntlworld email account

Hi SueM36, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you've had some issues with the email, I've popped you over a private message so I can help with this. (purple envelope in the top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

im in exactly the same position as this chap - with a hacked, and severely spammed old, disused account - Is there a / what is the process for closing it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi nprs,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry your old unused NTL world email has been hacked, are you still a customer is so was this email your primary email address ? if your'e still a customer and this is the primary account we won't be able to delete it however we can help you regain access and change the password.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if you can’t even disable the account I’d be prepared to close the account - after about 20years with NTL & Virgin. I want it unusable by one means or another. 
it is also annoyingly still my default address for some functions in the account, which needs to change too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi nprs,

If this is indeed a primary account we can change the password if you are unable once in as long as you make sure there aren't any forwarding set on the account you will then be able to use it again or at least know no one else can, if you do indeed still feel you would rather close the account down then it would be our customer relations team you will need to speak to, you can contact them on either 150 from your virgin media landline or 0345 454 1111 options 1,3 then 4.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The challenges are multiple

1. I can see the address as the "Primary" for my account, but I can't change that setting to one of the email addresses I use.
  2. It doesn't appear in the list of accounts I can administer so I can't change any details or change the password
  3. The account gets a mass of spam - far, far more than my other accounts
  4. The account has, at some point, been hacked and used to send bogus messages
  5. I have received a ransom threat saying the account had been hacked and they had the password etc

I want it retired or at least disabled. In the short term if you can change the password it will be a start.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I am more than happy to help you gain access to this email address, so I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to the team at Virgin Media who have successfully closed this account for me. I don’t know if people are still receiving bogus emails from me but I suppose when I was hacked someone got access to my address book which have now been sold on multiple times.  Fingers crossed that eventually they give up sending emails from bogus accounts. 

0 Kudos