Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Close legacy email account

Hi there,

I'm a former customer (left July 2019) and have noticed my email account is still active. I'm wondering how best to have it closed? Thanks

Steven

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Close legacy email account

You have come to the right place, StevenNT.

As you may know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (Try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Thankfully I didn't use it apart as a backup recovery address for various services which i have moved. But for completeness and for the reason you said I want it closed and deleted from what remains of my VM account.

Also out of interest, when it is closed how long does it take before it get's recycled, hopefully VM can let me know there?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've had a look at mailtester and seems my original ntlworld account from 2001 is still active how I don't know. 10 years ago they were going to close it but don't seem to have been done and sent a test email to it and it's not bounced back.

I don't have the original account NTL number to hand or the login details now but hopefully they can look at the addresses in question and close them?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Don't worry - the addresses are never made available again.  The system is set up such that they can't even be split off and used with another billing account unless the whole profile of addresses are moved as one (and it must be the same account holder, we have been told in recent months).

The VM staff will discuss the personal information by private message - they will do a security check to confirm you are the former account holder.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information, that's most helpful. I'll await a reply from one of the staff.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi StevenNT, thanks for getting in touch.

I'll be happy to help get this sorted. Just look out for mu PM and get back to me when you can & we'll take it from there.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

PM sent, thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for sending the details over.

Based on the info provided I was able to raise IT tickets for the first 2 addresses, unfortunately I could not do the same for the 3rd one due to the status of the account it's associated to, we would need to speak with the named account holder directly.

The IT tickets I raised should be resolved within a few working days - if there are any issues I will be notified and get back in touch to let you know, but I'm sure that won't be necessary here. 

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi again @StevenNT. Further to our PM-exchange this morning - the team have let me know this should now be resolved (again!). When you've been able to double-check can please let me know how you get on?

Tom 

0 Kudos