Menu
Martigan
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Changing password on my old blueyonder account

Trying to change my password on my old blueyonder account, as I think it's been compromised. 

All the old sites redirect to the VM account, but when I try logging it it returns an error saying username or password incorrect. when I try to reset the password, it says account doesn't exist

It still works, and I can send and receive emails. 

So how do I change my password.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing password on my old blueyonder account

You aren't a VM broadband customer are you? If you are not you have no right to use a VM e-mail account even though you may have been a customer in the past. When you left VM you lost your right 90 days after leaving.

VM will not help you change your password or give you access to the address. It is more likely than not that VM have locked you out because they are working on this backlog of unauthorised accounts. They will only help you finally delete the address.

If I'm wrong post back with the details and we'll help further.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh Dear Martigan - from the facts you've given, I am guessing that you are not a current VM Broadband customer?  If that is true, access to emails should have ended 90 days after the service ceased.

The email may have been working for years after you left (and may still work with a client) - but if web access is failing, then it is the start of VM closing your address permanently.  If I am wrong - come back and tell us more and we'll direct you accordingly.

Use this time quickly to back up your emails and re-build your contact list (you won't be able to access the list directly).  Let us know if there is any advice you need.

ETA - Snap - HowardML got there first!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Martigan

Sorry you have had to contact us 

I am not able to see an active account in your name 

This wouls suggest why the email account is no longer valid 

Once a media account is closed, the user does have up to 90 days access

Like HowardML and Miss Pasko have advised this would not be possible to access any more 

Regards 

Gareth_L

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think everyone missed this part of the OP's post?

It still works, and I can send and receive emails. 

Remember that even though SSO access has gone, POP3/IMAP continues for a while.  The users worried that others can access the account which is why they want to change the password.

Virgin need to consider the best option in situations like this.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Martigan
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately they don't consider situations like this, and their "customer" services desk isn't helpful.

VM claim it was impossible to allow me to change my email's password, until I move back in to a Virgin Media area, so they can reactivate my account...

They claimed the only thing they could do is delete the account, so I could never have it back. But as it was my main account for 10 years, there is a lot of legacy stuff associated with it. I think I have got all of the useful accounts hung off it, but there will still be some more stuff. However judging from the amount of failed delivery notices that the account is getting a day, the guy(s) who hacked it are pumping out spam like nobody's business. From the conversation with the "customer" services desk they are happier to have spam pouring from their servers, than to allow a customer of 10 years to change his password, while he temporally lives in a non-virgin media supplied area. 

I've never been a fan of sky, and now with Virgin media proving to be liars whom treat previously loyal customers like dirt, just because they have the audacity to more to an area they don't supply. Looks like when we move back, I will just get IP TV like netflix. Its' a lot cheeper, and they have less power over you.