Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing my main contact email

Hi

My user ID (and presumably my account email address) is my work email address. I will soon be leaving work and that email account will be disabled. I will therefore need to change my main email address to something else - gmail or the like. Can I do that just by changing my user ID? I have 2 other accounts in my profile and use one of them as my main home email - I have changed my contain email in my profile to that email address but virgin continue to contact me at my work email...

The clock is ticking... help!

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Changing my main contact email

You certainly know how tie yourself in knots. I cannot fathom why you have done what what you have done to manage your account. I'll set out the general principles and you can do the rest for yourself in My Virginmedia.

Your username or userID as I think you are calling it is usually your primary account VM e-mail address. That is the one you were given when you signed up, before you created any other addresses as secondary accounts. You can change this but only for a non-VM e-mail address that you have access to. All that does is affect how you sign into My Virginmedia and how you sign into VM's web mail system. It does not affect the underlying primary e-mail address that you were originally given.

However VM will also want a separate contact e-mail address which you can chose for yourself. It can be any e-mail address that is working. VM stipulate that as part of their Ts&Cs and therefore as part of your contract. This address is identified separately in My Virginmeda. In my case it is also my primary address, but I could chose my other non-VM e-mail address.

So off to My VM you go, and its a do it yourself job to make the changes you want. Select the "My profile" tab and the rest is easy.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML

Tied in knots is right! Thank you very much for the clear explanation.

When I first set up the account (over 15 years ago - in the ntlworld days) my work email was the only email I had, so I had to use that as my username and primary account email address. I then set up two secondary accounts to use as home emails for me and my partner. I have changed my contact email in my My Virginmedia profile to one of the secondary accounts (although messages, offers, and notifications keep being sent to my work email address).

Now my work email is going to be disabled. So as you say if I change my username to my gmail address it won't change the primary email. But if I no longer use the primary email address (my work email) as a username to log on to My Virginmedia and my contact email is from one of the secondary accounts, does it matter if that primary email would be pointing at an address that has been disabled by my employer?

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@demolishedman1 wrote:

Hi HowardML

Tied in knots is right! Thank you very much for the clear explanation.

When I first set up the account (over 15 years ago - in the ntlworld days) my work email was the only email I had, so I had to use that as my username and primary account email address.

So you used an NTLworld e-mail address as your work e-mail. Why? 

I then set up two secondary accounts to use as home emails for me and my partner. I have changed my contact email in my My Virginmedia profile to one of the secondary accounts (although messages, offers, and notifications keep being sent to my work email address).

Yes that will happen for a while because those communications are pre-planned and baked in to the system

Now my work email is going to be disabled.

Why disabled, if it is the primary address for your VM account. Whose going to disable it? What's it got to do with your employment or employer? I'm mystified.

So as you say if I change my username to my gmail address it won't change the primary email. But if I no longer use the primary email address (my work email) as a username to log on to My Virginmedia and my contact email is from one of the secondary accounts, does it matter if that primary email would be pointing at an address that has been disabled by my employer?

Read what I have said above. How can an employer disable an address that you own? I remain mystified by your description of what is going on.

Cheers

Andy

Just to make one further point clear. Your primary e-mail address subsists no matter what you do in changing your username or the contact address.  So if you use VM web mail all that changes is how you log in. Mail sent to your primary address will go to your mail box nonetheless. If you use an e-mail client you still need to use your underlying primary e-mail address as part of your e-mail settings (username).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML

My apologies - I'm not being clear in what I say.

My work email address was created and is managed by my employer (the University of Cambridge) and was allocated to me when I started work. It has nothing to do with me or with ntl/virgin. It is an @cam.ac.uk address. When I started using ntlworld as an internet provider it was the only email address I had so I used it as my username (and therefore primary account email address).  I am now leaving the University so in a few weeks my work email will be automatically disabled - the @cam.ac.uk address will no longer be valid, so my primary account email address will no longer work if virgin use it to contact me.

If, as you say, they will eventually synchronise their communications to the contact email I have set up in My Virginmedia (a secondary account email address), then hopefully that will not be a problem. And changing my username to a different email address (gmail) seems, as you say, not to affect anything other than my log on.

But I am still worried that my primary account email address (@cam.ac.uk) will not longer be a valid one.

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You'll like this answer. It doesn't matter, except for one thing (see below). The only thing that matters is that the username is of the right format. VM don't check it. But if you are going to have the address cancelled than change your username to something you do own. You could even change it back to your initial NTLworld address before you created the secondary addresses. But a GMail address will do. And I'll tell you why it best to have a live address. It is to make sure that any communications that VM send do get to you no matter the state of their systems.

And may I chide you a little bit. I now understand the real reason why you asked the question. You should have asked it this way in the first place. But I'm happy to help and bring this to a successful conclusion - I hope.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI Howard ML

Thank you for your patience - I wish there was on option to tick Extremely Helpful Answer From Very Patient Poster.

Please accept my apologies for the run-around - I'm not a very technical person (can you tell?) and sometimes I blunder my way through these things hanging on the the conversation by my fingertips. Chide well deserved...

So I will change my username in My Virginmedia to my gmail address, wait for the new Contact Email to sync up for communications, and not worry about my Primary Account Email going to a disabled email address.

Thanks again - that's such a weight off my mind in these stressful times!

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos