Menu
Daedalus1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Changing an old email address

I have an old ntlworld email address I no longer use. I want to rename it but I get an error message and it will not change it. Do I need to change the ntlworld to virginmedia? I really don't want to have to do that if I don't have too.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
FrogCF
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing an old email address

Hi,

You can't change the email address this would be linked to your account i'm guessing this what would use to access your virgin media account. To get VirginMedia email address would need to register one. https://my.virginmedia.com/create-profile/register. When you done that if you don't wont your old NTLWORLD email address then please give the support phone call the best times would be Monday-Friday

0800 052 2164

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Daedalus1 wrote:

I have an old ntlworld email address I no longer use. I want to rename it but I get an error message and it will not change it. Do I need to change the ntlworld to virginmedia

I am not aware of any email provider that will allow you to simply rename an existing email address and you certainly cannot do that with an @ntlworld.com address.

The only option  you have is to set up a new VM email account which you can do by signing in to your "My Virgin Media" account from here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn 

Then click on "My profile" and you will see a link to "create a new account". That will create a new secondary email account linked to your existing primary account.

New email address.png

Unfortunately VM no longer allow you to create new "@ntlworld.com" addresses, your new email will be an @virginmedia.com address.

Also, you will not be able to create a new address with your existing name prefix (the part before the "@" symbol) since Virgin have blocked all existing ntlworld prefixes from being reused with "@virginmedia.com". The thinking behind it was to prevent individuals from impersonating existing users by creating similar addresses.

Just one further word of warning. In your "My VirginMedia" account you may see VM refer to the ability to "Change your username". That often causes confusion because it actually refers to the option to switch your existing "My VirginMedia" username (which by default is your VM email address) to a third party (non VM) email address that you have already got set up with another email provider. It does not actually change your existing VM email address it merely changes the username you enter to access your "My VirginMedia" account.

A lot of complications there but the simple answer is that you cannot do what you are intending to do. 😯

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Daedalus1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I have changed a number of the addresses previously with no problems, although obviously it is not possible to change the prime address. Many thanks for your comments as it confirms what I thought.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Daedalus1 wrote:

Many thanks for your comments as it confirms what I thought.

No problem. Actually after I posted I realised there is one other aspect to email addresses that I did not mention.

You often see email addresses in the format "Richard Branson" <rbranson@virginmedia.com>

The part between the " "signs  is there simply to be a more human friendly version of the email address itself.

It is the part that  email clients and webmail screens usually display in the "From" field in the Inbox rather than the actual email address, the part between <  >. That display name plays no part in the transmission of the email.

Of course, your email address does not have to bear any relationship to your name. I know several people with completely incomprehensible email addresses and their actual name only appears in the display name. 😊

You can change that display name whenever you want. In the VM email service it is held as 'First Name' and 'Last name' and is referred to as the "contact details"  but it is really just a block of free text.

I know that's not what you are looking to change 😉 but it might be appropriate for example if someone has changed their name but wants to keep their existing email address. Updating the display name would mean that when their email contacts received a new email from them the receivers would see the individual's new name in their Inbox.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos