Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Change old ntl email password

I have an old ntlworld email address from well over 10 years ago that I believe has been hacked somehow. I've had several of my passwords changed on my accounts and I saw a password reset email appear in my inbox earlier today and then get deleted a few seconds later. These aren't fake emails or phishing attempts either, my passwords have actually been changed and I've had to reset them.
Anyway, I decided to make a new email address with gmail and move my accounts over to there. However, I want to change my ntlworld email password just to make sure that nobody can read any of my old emails.
I don't appear to have any way to change the password. I'm not a virgin media customer so I don't have a myvirginmedia account and can't make one.
How do I change the password? or delete the account ?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change old ntl email password

You have come to the right place Hornsbury.  As a non-customer there isn't much you can do yourself - try logging in to webmail if you can recall the old password?  If you can only access using a mail client (and it was IMAP), then at least delete all the emails, which will sync with the mailbox and reduce the data the hacker can see.  Backup off site if you can before deleting. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

The mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (according to VM's own Terms and Conditions). But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!)

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com. Best wishes to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello Hornsbury

Thanks for your post

as@​​​​​​MissPasko has advised, we are able to get the email address deleted for you.

It can take around 7 days maximum, usually its a lot quicker than that though

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello Hornsbury,

Thanks for passing security, I have the details and account information needed 

What I have done is request for our IT Team to delete the email address

This can take 7-10 days to sorted 

If you go to mailtester.com and enter your ermail, once its turns red it has been deleted 

Should you need anything else please let us know

Gareth_L