Menu
Lizzy21
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Change email server from ntl to virgin

My email address is a .co.uk email address through Outlook and it currently goes through ntl which I understand is not supported. How do I change this to virgin? is it just a case of substituting ntl to virgin in the pop3 settings?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change email server from ntl to virgin

@Lizzy21 wrote:

My email address is a .co.uk email address through Outlook and it currently goes through ntl which I understand is not supported.

That's not completely true. 😉

Firstly, ntlworld addresses end in ".com" not ".co.uk". Perhaps that was a typo in your post, or is the account actually a "blueyonder.co.uk" address?

Either way, the ntlworld.com and blueyonder.co.uk servers are still running and are still supported. However, for several years now Virgin Media has recommended that everyone with ntlworld and blueyonder  addresses should be using the virginmedia.com servers in their email settings.

If nothing else, the VM settings give you more security when using wifi. Also, if you have raised the question because you are getting errors in Outlook, then making sure that you have the correct and up to date settings may well resolve those for you.

BTW There is no change to your email address so you should not update the @ntlworld.com or @blueyonder.co.uk in your email address.

The recommended settings for all VM domains are:

• Incoming mail server: pop3.virginmedia.com
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.virginmedia.com
  • User Name: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com (That is very important, your old settings could just have the part before the @ symbol)

• You also need to update the Incoming server (POP3) settings to:
    • Port: 995
    • Select: This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL/TLS)
  • You also need to update the Outgoing server (SMTP) settings to:
    • Port: 465
    • In Use the following type of encrypted connection select: SSL / TLS       
    •   (Again it is very important to make sure the Port numbers and encryption type are updated with the correct values)

You say you are using Outlook. VM do offer a help sheet on how to update your Outlook settings  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-update-settings-in-microsoft-outlook  but to be honest I would always use the method that Microsoft themselves advise which you will find here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/change-or-update-email-account-settings-in-outlook-for-wi...  so use that method and update the settings to those I listed above.

Hopefully that all makes sense. 🙂

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lizzy21
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

Just to clarify the email address is one bought along with a web domain and ends in .co.uk and is a work email. I'm not sure if this is private so didn't want to put the full email address in, but I'm just wondering when I go into my email settings and amend ntl to virgin it won't stop my emails from coming through as I can't afford to be offline.

I had another ntl email address that was hacked and when I asked for help I was told it was unsupported and there was nothing Virgin could do as I should have switched to Virgin and I don't want this to happen on my business email account.

I'm sorry I'm not very technically minded.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Lizzy21 wrote:

I'm sorry I'm not very technically minded.

No problem, neither am I. 😉

Ok now we have the full facts there are two separate issues.

1) The fact that you are no longer a VM customer.

I am sorry to say that means that your ntlworld email account could be deleted at any time. VM only provide email accounts to broadband customers. In theory,  90 days after the broadband account is closed VM should delete any associated email account. In fact these orphan accountsoften soldier on for years but there is no doubt your NTL account will disappear at some point.  Make sure you copy or download any emails you need to keep for posterity and set up a new personal email account with another provider if you have not done so already.

2)Using your VM email account password and  the VM /NTL servers  to send emails from your personal /work email account.

As you have discovered it is possible to use your ISP settings to send your own emails but it is definitely not recommended. Why?  Well email services use security protocols to identify potentially spoofed emails - in other words emails that appear to have their sender details falsified. Currently you are sending emails with a domain of (for example) "@Lizzyswork.com" from a VM email server that has no relationship to the Lizzyswork domain. That means they look very much like scam or spam emails. Your emails are very likely to be delivered to your contacts' spam folder or they might even be rejected altogether.

The correct approach is to use the pop3 / IMAP and SMTP servers specified by the domain registrar that you bought the domain from (it might have been Godaddy for example.) Those details should be on their support pages or you could call their customer services.

Once you have those details you can use the MS link I gave to update your .co.uk account details in Outlook and all should be good. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Lizzy21 wrote:

when I asked for help I was told it was unsupported and there was nothing Virgin could do as I should have switched to Virgin

Please ignore all my comments about your ntlworld address being deleted.

Apologies, looking again I originally misread your comment. I initially thought the agent was saying that they could not support you because you had switched from Virgin. That kind of made sense because VM refuse to support ex customers. 

However, reading your comment again I can see they were telling you that VM no longer supports ntlworld. That is complete nonsense.

In fact VM still support all their so called legacy domains and the VM agent was simply fobbing you off. It happens all  too often unfortunately, especially when they do not understand what you are really asking for.😠

The fact that VM still support ntlworld accounts can be easily proved if you look at pop3 settings in the link to the VM helpsheet I gave you earlier  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-update-settings-in-microsoft-outlook  where VM actual use an ntlworld address in their example:

Incoming mail server: pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.virginmedia.com

User Name: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com

So please ignore all my comments about your ntlworld address being deleted. As long as it is still linked to your broadband account it remains safe.

However, my advice about getting the email settings for your personal / business domain name from your domain registrar still holds true. You are running risks sending emails using your own domain name through the VM (or ntlworld) servers.

The only other point to make is that if you still use your ntlworld email address as a standalone email address in Outlook (rather than simply using the nrtlworld settings to send/receive emails with your .co.uk address) then you should still update the ntlworld server settings to virginmedia as per the details in my first post.

My only excuse for my mistake was that I was rushing to reply to you before meeting up with my Covid "bubble" partner. (I am still allowed do to that in the present lockdown rules, if I understand the rules correctly). Sorry for the confusion.

(A contrite) Coenoby 😞

Lizzy21
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your help, I'll contact the provider and look into that and hopefully between what they say and your advice I'll be able to sort it out, if not I'll be back on here picking brains. I hope you enjoyed your "bubble" Christmas 🙂
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Lizzy21 wrote:
Many thanks for your help, I'll contact the provider and look into that and hopefully between what they say and your advice I'll be able to sort it out, if not I'll be back on here picking brains. I hope you enjoyed your "bubble" Christmas 🙂

Thanks for your kind words. Christmas and New Year was good in the bubble. 😄

You might like to have a read through this post from someone who has the most email related experience on this forum. The subject is self evident from the title.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-email-using-your-own-domain/td-p/3716147 

The reason I did not quote it earlier was that you said that your domain was for "work email" and that post is specifically aimed at those who have their own email domains but who only use them for personal rather than business use.

Just to complete the picture, I'll give  you a quick overview of my experience in this area.

I have 2 domains , one I use for personal emails, which I operate using the approach Ravenstar68 describes and one for a (very) small company I run. For the business one I subscribe to a webmail service run by the domain provider, it costs about £20 per year. However, on a day to day basis I manage the emails using Outlook 365 with the webmail service acting as my backup if Outlook ever plays up. The settings in Outlook use the domain providers servers not VM's

All I can say is that both approaches have worked well for me for many years.

Coenoby

0 Kudos