Menu
TraceyJY
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cant send emails

Morning All

I suddenly had an issue that has stopped me sending Emails (Outlook 2016) & constantly getting a pop up box which wants me to keep entering the following information - 

'Enter your user name and password for the following server'
(smtp.virginmedia,com)

I have contacted VM a few times over the last few days & they have checked that all of my accounts settings are correct, which they seem to be.
I've also changed & updated my password numerous times in the hope this will fix the issue, but sadly with no luck.

I am convinced that this is definitely an issue with my WIFI because anyone else who tries to send emails whilst connected solely to my WIFI (using various different devices) are also experiencing the same issue as me & are also unable to send emails too.

However I am still able to receive incoming emails & also still have access to the internet, this seems to only be affecting me sending emails.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated please.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cant send emails

Hello
Thank for joining in on the forum, we will try the best to get your issue resolved.

First I would suggest to following to find the error that you are getting on your email client :- Look here to get the error logs:- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237..., if you do have an VM305 error then more than likely the spambot was asleep as spamhaus will automatically remove after 2 days of no spam activity, if error then follow :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You can check your listing yourself but there is no point requesting removal until you have found and deleted the spambot. https://www.spamhaus.org/query and type in your external IP you can gets this my typing "whats my ip" into google.

If you are running Hola VPN Free, then note But Hola Free VPN is anything but a VPN.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TraceyJY
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I am not that computer savvy but I have followed your advice & have found via the OPMLog that the error is - 

(smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)

However I am not sure what corrective action that I need to do now?
Any further help would be much appreciated please 🙂

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Re-From-Outlook-lt-rx-gt-quot-525-5-7-13-Authentication-D... post #2

VM320 errors happen when there have been too many authentications on your account per hour.  Note that this is successful rather than unsuccessful authentications.

And here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/email-send-not-working/m-p/4088153 post #2

VM320 indicates that there have been too many authentication attempts received in the last hour on your account.

The last time we saw this for some reason a device on the user's network was authenticating correctly with the server repeatedly without sending emails.  This caused failures when sending from Outlook with precisely the same error code.

It was an IP camera device IIRC.

Given the code, I don't think the password change is relevant.

Looks like something on your network is sending/trying to send email communications and tripping the VM sending limits. You'll need to find what device is doing this and prevent it from doing so.

(Credit to ravenstar68 for this information.)

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
TraceyJY
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply Sololobo (and also to ravenstar68 for the info)

I did have an email which was stuck in the Outlook outbox ever since the problem started a few days ago and it couldn't be sent.

That email has now been deleted out of the outbox but I am still being asked to enter my user name & password when testing to see if I could now send an email.

I am very baffled! 

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Email settings for Outlook can be found here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients

Click the Outlook tab for setup instructions.

Ensure that Outlook is setup to use the correct ports for IMAP or POP.

IMAP

Type of information

Settings to enter   
Receiving mail (IMAP4)
IMAP4 server nameimap.virginmedia.com
IMAP4 SSLEnabled
IMAP4 port993
IMAP4 authenticationEnabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
IMAP4 username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)Disabled
Sending mail (SMTP)
SMTP server namesmtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP SSLEnabled
SMTP port465
SMTP authenticationEnabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
SMTP username

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

POP

Type of information

Settings to enter   
Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Sending mail (SMTP)
SMTP server namesmtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP SSLEnabled
SMTP port465
SMTP authenticationEnabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
SMTP username

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

TraceyJY
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks once again for your reply and help Sololobo.

It seems that the problem has now been fixed, since I took guidance and advice about checking Spamhaus to see if my emails were being blocked, which they were.

My Thanks go out to all of you that have helped me with this issue, the VM Community is amazing and so very helpful.

Thank You ALL 🙂

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM320 is not related to Spamhaus

Out of interest what blacklist were you on?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TraceyJY
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim

That seems a bit strange then, hope it wasn't a coincidence.

But once I requested my IP was removed from the Spamhaus CSS database I was able to send emails fine, well so far anyway.

I am hoping that was the issue and I wont have any further problems, fingers crossed!

Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@TraceyJY wrote:

Hi Tim

That seems a bit strange then, hope it wasn't a coincidence.

But once I requested my IP was removed from the Spamhaus CSS database I was able to send emails fine, well so far anyway.

I am hoping that was the issue and I wont have any further problems, fingers crossed!

Thank you 🙂

Your IP being on the Spamhaus CSS is not good. From the link provided previously https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... 

If a device behind your public IP address is sending spam, then potentially there are two outcomes that can happen.

1. You get a letter from Virgin Media stating that spam has been seen coming from your IP address.
  2. Your public IP address ends up listed on an SBL most notably the CSS but possibly others.

You may well find that your IP address will reappear on the CSS and again you will be unable to send emails.

Fortunately Tim has picked up on this thread and he's "the man" to best advise you on what needs to be done.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

0 Kudos