Menu
funkyphil
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Cant send email via Thunderbird can recieve.

Been having this issue for close on 3 week now when it`s worked perfectly for close on 10 years. I can receive emails via Thunderbird (and outlook) for my account but cant send any emails.

Incoming is pop3.ntlworld.com And outgoing is smtp.virginmedia.com i`ve tried changing the outgoing to smtp.ntlworld.com makes no odds. Ports are set to 965 incoming and 465 outgoing.

Any help out there as by the looks of past posts ringing them wont really make any difference as the actual webmail via there site works normally. Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant send email via Thunderbird can recieve.

Follow the advice shown here to enable logging and then review the resulting output for VM error codes and/or authentication failures.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
funkyphil
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! This is what i have!

SMTP Response: 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

You will need to start by reading through this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... 

Because that is exactly what has happened to you, your outgoing email is being deliberately blocked by VM because your home IP address has been identified as sending out spam. One or more of your devices has become infected with malware which is quietly sending out spam messages from your address and until it is found and fixed your address won't be delisted and hence you will be blocked from sending out mail.

Webmail works because it uses a different system.

0 Kudos
funkyphil
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but that is way beyond my skills i` m afraid got to be a easy method?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid that is the solution, otherwise you would have to look at speaking  to a 3rd party who could come out and do this for you, as there is something on your home network that is sending spam and this could also be at a risk to your personal information that is stored on your PC, i.e. if you use the devices for internet banking etc.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The advice you have had is spot on. Unless you find and eliminate the spam bot you are doomed for ever to experience this problem. Spambots go quite for various periods and so the restriction on you sending mail via Thunderbird is apparently lifted, but the underlying cause is always there.

What you need to appreciate is that the spambot on your system didn't get there by some mysterious method . It must have been because you did something to introduce it. Sometime and somewhere you were lax about security or you are using an infected device.

We have noticed that the common infected devices are related to the jail broken Amazon Fire sticks which have had unauthorised software installed on them or the use of the free version of the Hola VPN. That version is not a true VPN but is a peer to peer sharing network which is prone to spambot introduction.

You might start there and remove this device and software if you have installed them or are using them.

Although its chances of working to detect a spambot are not great you could try a scan with the free trial version of malwarebytes. You must not install it from anywhere else but malwarebytes.com.

Be aware that if you ask a third party to look at your system they are likely to recommend a full wiping of your HD and a full and fresh reinstall of your operating system. That is the quick and easy fix that some techs would be likely to adopt.

Finally, and probably to make you feel worse than you already do, leaving the spambot alone just means that you are contributing to the volume of spam on the internet that you and others receive everyday.

0 Kudos
funkyphil
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Well after close on 2 hours on the phone to Virgin Media i`m still no better off! I`ll just stop using thunderbird and delete it from my pc. Only problem is i have a lot of important emails saved on there from what i see cant be copied and saved elsewhere! This really is a HUGE problem. My ip is only being blacklisted on 3 separate places from what i can see. 

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@funkyphil 

Stopping using Thunderbird is NOT THE ANSWER.

The problem is that spam traffic has been seen coming from your public IP.  This is NOTHING TO DO WITH THUNDERBIRD ITSELF.

(and no I'm not apologising for shouting), it's important that you understand that the traffic is not coming from your regular mail programs.  If you aren't prepared to deal with the traffic yourself then you are putting yourself at risk in more ways than one.

There are no quick answers here.  I certainly wish there were, I wouldn't have had to go away and come up with a way of looking for the spam traffic.  I worked closely with a number of users.

Doing nothing is not an option.

Tim

0 Kudos
funkyphil
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Well i don`t have many options!  I don`t have funds for having a IT expert look into it. Would a earlier restore point make any odds? I`m not in the slightest bit tech savvy i`m afraid.

0 Kudos