Menu
novmsupport
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cant access my emails

Keep getting this message when selecting Email from virginmedia.com

Sorry Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour....

I have been trying to access emails all day from my laptop using outlook but this fails on logging onto email server. Absolutely no telephone support available which is very frustrating. 

Strangely I can still access emails from my EE phone?

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant access my emails

HI novmsupport, thanks for the message. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the emails and want to help you get this resolved. Can you confirm if you have had any letters of emails from the internet security team? Can you confirm if you are still having this issue and if changing the password helps at all? ^Chris 

0 Kudos
novmsupport
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I haven't had any e-mails from the Internet Security Team.

I want to change my blueyonder password but I can't find a way of doing this? Can you help

0 Kudos
novmsupport
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris, To be clear these are the issues. I am trying to set up Outlook on my new EE phone and fix Outlook on my laptop which has stopped working because it can't connect to the IMAP server. Outlook is still working on my Desktop.  I am not sure what the password is so just want to change it but how?

If I log into virgin media web site and select email I just get "Sorry! Your mailbox is unavailable at the moment. ...." What is going on? This forum seems to be the only support mechanism available from Virgin!

I find it extremely irritating especially when being awarded badges!

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

See post #2 in this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Password/m-p/4338233 which provides instructions on changing your email passwords.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ignore the badge awards. They are system generated in an attempt to foster some sense of the community as you post on the Community. They do no harm, but you can switch of the notifications about them in your profile.

I have to say if you had given us a comprehensive view of the issue in your first post we would have been alot further forward in resolving your issues by now. But your first and last post now, at least tell us what is going on. 

You do NOT change passwords in VM's web mail system. You change passwords in My Virginmedia.

The web mail error you are getting indicates that your mailbox has been locked by VM because they have detected that hackers have been using your account to send spam. VM need to fix that first and then the rest of what you are trying to do will work - we can hope. But you should try and change your password first in My VM. here is how:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-change-email-username-or-password

VM staff here might then be able to unlock your mailbox for you, or may have to refer to the IT team to do it, which will take time.

There is of course the point that if you are not a VM broadband customer then VM might have locked your mailbox pending deletion because in these circumstances you are not entitled to use the VM mail system - but I don't suppose that is the case?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

novmsupport
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can log in to my Virgin Media OK and I know the password.  Are you saying the password used by Outlook to access the IMAP server is the same password as my Virgin Media password?  In other words do I manage 2 passwords or is it just one?

If its just one password I don't need to change it as I can plainly access my virgin media and Outlook is working on my desktop.

Just tried Outlook on my EE Phone using same IMAP/SMTP settings as my desktop and it still comes back saying it can't log in.

I am reluctant to change my virgin media password in fear of this stopping Outlook on my desktop and anyway I don't see why I need to.

You say my e-mail is locked but I can access my e-mails so don't understand what's locked exactly?  Not happy with the news my account is being used by spammers.

I still can't get to my e-mails on-line. It's been over a week now.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@novmsupport wrote:

I can log in to my Virgin Media OK and I know the password.  Are you saying the password used by Outlook to access the IMAP server is the same password as my Virgin Media password?  In other words do I manage 2 passwords or is it just one?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. By definition because of VM's sign on system the password you use for MY VM and for your main e-mail address are identical. I hope that puts what I am saying beyond doubt.

If its just one password I don't need to change it as I can plainly access my virgin media and Outlook is working on my desktop.

Good. progress

Just tried Outlook on my EE Phone using same IMAP/SMTP settings as my desktop and it still comes back saying it can't log in.

So that is what the problem is after all.

I am reluctant to change my virgin media password in fear of this stopping Outlook on my desktop and anyway I don't see why I need to.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my advice. Based on what you described I have given you the standard advice. The usual cause of hacking is because your password has been guessed or disclosed. still you do what you like.

You say my e-mail is locked but I can access my e-mails so don't understand what's locked exactly?  Not happy with the news my account is being used by spammers.

And it will continue that way unless you change your password. Still you don't want to so you will remain unhappy. What on earth is the point of asking for advice if you don't really want it?

I still can't get to my e-mails on-line. It's been over a week now.

You seem to determined to confuse the situation. Certainly web mail is blocked and you are trouble on your phone, but you can access mail on your desktop via Outlook.  You can wait for VM staff to arrange for your mailbox in web mail to be looked at but you'll get the same advice as I have given you. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
novmsupport
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Changed my virgin media password and had a confirmation email back from webteam@virginmedia.com confirming it was successfully changed.

Still in the same situation. Outlook works fine on my desktop but unable to connect on my laptop and phone just as before.

Incidentally the virgin media password has to be 8-10 characters and only numbers and letters, no special characters allowed. Thats not a very secure password and narrows down the options for hackers.

I am not sure you are a VM employee?

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi novmsupport,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear this is still occurring. Have you been able to get this resolved? If not then I can send you a PM and get things reset. @HowardML is correct with his advice that it is a singular login for both the account and emails.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos