Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cannot send or receive emails from Virgin Media on my desktop yet still can on my laptop

Virgin Media Community Forum

[Bet02 started thread:

'Cannot send or receive emails from ntlword account on pc yet still works on my phone'

on '?23-06-2019 22:33'.

I have read the thread, but it has not helped me]

1. I should be most grateful for help: I can't get into Virgin Email from my desktop computer.

2. I click on the link to Virgin Email from the Virgin Media home page, ie:

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox

but:

https://mail2.virginmedia.com/appsuite/

loads, and puts up the screen:

--------

User name [BOX]
Password [BOX]
Confirm new password [BOX]
[TICK BOX] Stay signed in
Forgot your password?
[BUTTON: 'Sign in']

--------

I fill in my Username and Password, confirm the Password, and click on the 'Sign in' button. Below the above screen I then get:

--------

[WAIT DISPLAY: Three repeating dots]

--------

and nothing further happens*.

3. I reported to Virgin Media Customer Service twice as above that I couldn't get into Virgin Email from my desktop computer. I described the screens to the Representatives who answered the phone. They didn't get back to me. And my service was not restored.

4. I accordingly, as in the past with Customer Service, thrashed about trying to restore service myself.

As a long shot, on the basis that the cause of the problem might be a software fault on the desktop, I tried running Virgin Email from Virgin Media on my laptop computer instead of the desktop.

To my surprise, I found that I could get into Virgin Email from my laptop computer.

5. I went to report the discovery to Virgin Customer Service, and seek their further advice.

I waited over half an hour for someone in Customer Service to pick up the phone. Nobody did so.

I then, given the seeming inability or disinterest of Customer Service, should I get through on the phone, in helping me anyway, gave up on them, and now write to the Forum.

6. I am not desperate. I use Pegasus as my working Email program on the desktop computer to receive and send email messages.

Pegasus continues to function perfectly well.

But I do sometimes also need to use Virgin Email in order to benefit from some of the facilities it has that Pegasus lacks.

7. The Forum has been of great help to me in the past.

Is anyone able to help me with suggestions what I might do to restore my service?

Or could a moderator intervene with Customer Service to do what is necessary to restore it?

I would try reinstalling Virgin Media myself on the desktop, except that it is not installed on the desktop. It therefore must run from within Virgin media itself.

The cause could also be a compatibility problem, but I haven't myself made any recent changes to the setup of the desktop. In particular, I haven't installed any new software.

Stephen Prower

* The same applies when I try to get into Virgin Email by direct link:

https://mail2.virginmedia.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&folder=...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot send or receive emails from Virgin Media on my desktop yet still can on my laptop

The main reason this happens is corrupt cookie.  The first thing to try is clearing your browser history of any VM cache/cookies.  Then close and restart.

Or try an incognito window, or a different browser.

If that does not help, please post back and we'll try something else.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot send or receive emails from Virgin Media on my desktop yet still can on my laptop

MissPasko

I have followed your advice, and Virgin Email is now working on my desktop. I have tested by sending a message to myself as well as putting up the screen that lists received messages. I really am most grateful to you. I trust Customer Service will read our correspondence, and be duly mortified!

Thanking you again

Stephen Prower

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

MissPasko

Oops!

I omitted to say that I started by deleting Virgin cookies, and then reloaded Virgin Email. This worked, so I did not need to try your other two solutions.

Stephen Prower
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@S_Prower wrote:

But I do sometimes also need to use Virgin Email in order to benefit from some of the facilities it has that Pegasus lacks.

Out of curiosity what are these facilities?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VIP

The facility I needed that led me to turn to Virgin Email the other day--and find that I could not get in-- was the ability to display a message sent me by Ebay headed <!DOCTYPE html>.

I don't recall off the top of my head other formats that Pegasus can't read, but my unreliable memory is that there are other formats too that it can't display.

More widely, Pegasus can only display .HTML messages in its compact windowed working display mode with limited formatting. For full formatting you have to go into 'Attachments', and open the original HTML file. The 'Attachments' tab is only accessable in full screen mode.

Pegasus does not display attached JPEGs in windowed display mode. Again you have to go into full screen mode, then click on the 'Attachments' tab, to open them.

I work in Pegasus's compact windowed working display mode. I might switch to full screen mode to write a reply to a message, or view a sequence of sent or received messages in order, but otherwise it is inconvenient. The little niggles I mention impose a frustrating delay when I do have to switch into it in other circumstances.

You don't ask for Pegasus's compensating attractions, but they are nevertheless, in spite of its lacks, sufficient for me to prefer working in it to Email editors of the Virgin Media type.

Stephen Prower

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Miss Pasko

I went to send a further reply to you, and got the following message:

'Authentication Failed.
Authentication ticket mismatched, failed authentication.
Return to my original page'

I clicked on 'Return to my original page', and found that the reply had been destroyed. I tried a few methods, but could not recover it.

Are you able to tell me what I did wrong?

Stephen Prower

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen.

No, sorry.  That message is not familiar to me.  Try again?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much - you just fixed my problem,

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

MissPasko

1. Many websites offer the facility to send messages online, or fill in and send forms online, to the owner of the website. In my experience they often lose or destroy the message or form, and force you to write it all over again.

Sometimes the hiccup is my fault, sometimes theirs.

Reputable website owners, such as Virgin or Foreign exchange firms are no exception. If my memory were better, I could probably list more.

On the other hand, on Bird Forum, although it may lose messages, I can now by proceeding calmly and systematically, recover them.

You don't have to be big to get things right.

I have accordingly got into the practice of either:
a) Writing the message in a text editor (I use Notepad), and then copying it into the website in question
b) Writing the message on the website, and then doing a screendump, pasting the dump into an image editor (I use IrfanViwew), and saving it to file
c) Writing the message on the website, then copying it into a text editor before sending.

But I sometimes lapse.

So as not to lose this reply to you, I have this time adopted precaution (a)!

2. The messages that the guilty websites sometimes put up are various, and usually confine themselves to irrelevant or unrelated information. Or they are written in software engineer's jargon that I cannot follow. Or they are plain wrong.

It does not surprise me that you have difficulty with the Virgin message in point.

I once had to point out a sloppy bug in a Virgin error message. The message was incomplete. I eventually happened to come upon the full version on the web. I think it was a standard error message, not one peculiar to Virgin. If the message had been complete, it would have pointed me to the solution to my problem. As it was I wasted several hours tracking down the solution.

3. I shan't try to send the reply again.

I thought it would be helpful to mention what might have caused my problem.

As I recall I canvassed:
a) A mistype
b) Using a WordStar keypress, by mistake. My word processor and my main text editor are configured to offer the WordStar set of commands
c) The computer version of the 'trailing leg' foul in football: failing to release a control key before typing the next letter. If the control key is '^C', and next letter is 'A', for instance, in many programs the resulting command will be 'Select all'
d) My backup program cutting in in conflict with Virgin.

Programmers sometimes fail to clear out the special key assignments that they have made for convenience when programming a program. A mistype for instance may then cause one of the assignments to spring back to life.

Stephen Prower
0 Kudos