Menu
rapid
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Cannot send ntlworld emails from Android

Since Tuesday 6th October, I cannot send emails from my Samsung S10+.  However, I can from any PC or laptop when I sign in to email on the Virgin Media web site.  I can receive emails on all devices. 

0 Kudos
BlueBox
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot send ntlworld emails from Android

We are all in the same boat  I have same problem  using Samsung  S9+ no issue on PC or laptop webmail or Wi-Fi  I hope VM team sort this out very soon

0 Kudos
rapid
Tuning in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Bluebox.  Good to know it isn't just me.

0 Kudos
BlueBox
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Can i ask what phone network you are on Thanks

0 Kudos
rapid
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.  The same situation exists with my wife's email too.  She's also with Virgin.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

When the issue next occurs can you check if your public IP Address appears on one or more of Spamhaus's lists that Virgin Media use to protect their outgoing mail server, to do this:

• go to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer to see your (public) IP Address
  • go to Spamhaus's Blocklist Removal Center
  • enter the IP Address retrieved previously into the IP Address field  and select Lookup
  • if listed under any list(s) other than the PBL then it is likely to be the cause

Should you choose to the post result make sure to first redact your public IP Address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

The webmail system normally wouldn't be affected by the issue that affects email clients.

@rapid Does the problem exist when you try sending when the phone is connected to your home wifi or when connected to the 4g network?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BlueBox
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

• @ravenstar68 mine is when connected to phone 4G network
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@BlueBox 

You already have a thread going elsewhere.  Please stick to that one.

Tim

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Odd topic this, wasn't expecting to see it.

Must admit I sometimes struggle with the same thing.  It doesn't want to send sometimes, but most times it's fine.

Just checked and it's all okay (at this moment).  I haven't made any setting changes on the phones beyond the original configuration, so unless it's the mail app in android changing and causing the fault I am at a loss too.

Guessing your using the Samsung Mail app? com.samsung.android.email.provider. Samsung Mail hasn't been updated since the middle of August.

I use the stock Gmail app. com.google.android.gm. Gail app was updated on the 8th October.

I do know that there was a problem for a little while where, in the gmail app at least, emails with attachments refused to go.  But shrug, it's all working now.

Are you sending any attachments, if so what's the extension (bleh.txt, would be .txt).  Virgin block some extension types, see here for the list.

check your outgoing settings,

Outgoing.
SMTP server: smtp.virginmedia.com
Security type: SSL
Port: 465
Authentication/Sign In: On

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos