Not the first time this has cropped I know. This time, I’m not trying to login to xxx but to my regular email. In fact I didn’t know xxx even existed. Emails sent to it don’t get bounced, so I assumed it did and added it to my Thunderbird account. That seemed to be accepted but none of the passwords I tried worked. I’ve managed to reset the password and get the message: “….A confirmation message has been sent to”. Doesn’t exactly say to whom but my details appear a little way below. (I’ve got a screenshot.) It’s now a couple of hours and nothing has appeared. I cannot use the password when prompted so I’m in the infinite loop of “Enter new password”/”Retry” etc.
If not, we may still be able to help, however there is a good chance it could be deleted as per the terms and conditions that state if the email isn't linked to an active account, then it should be deleted within 90 days.
Many thanks. I did try the reset password approach, it said “confirmation sent”, but none received here.
Anyway, what I did was to remove and re-install our two main accounts on the three computers in this house. A bit of a faff because inevitably I got the odd password wrong but at least we were up and running albeit with a hiccup as I speak..
Then, after doing this, and almost by chance, I looked at the SMTP settings. I didn’t think I needed to but just decided to check the default and found the username was email@example.com! So perhaps, from what you say, after being dormant for a long time, it was activated/addressed before being deleted.