cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails

szkopy
Tuning in

Cannot send emails for two days now. Error states ‘cannot connect to smtp.virginmedia.com outgoing server’. Nowhere in the virgin help is there an answer to this

8 REPLIES 8

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @szkopy 

Welcome back to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with sending emails at this time. 

Do you get the same error sending emails when using our webmail or when you use an email client such as Gmail or Outlook? 

How are you accessing our webmail, it is through the website or through an app?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Through ‘mail’ using Mac and IPhone…same issue.

Receiving emails is fine….just the connection to the outgoing server fails.

Can you try resetting your App password by going through your online account following these steps to see if this resolves the issue? MyVM > Account Settings > Account Details > Mailbox App Password Management ~CS~

Here to help 🙂
Carley

before I try that……emails send when the virgin wi fi is turned off? Is the password route still valid?

Discovered this when I popped out of the house.

I have flagged this to the team to see if there are any issues at our side. 

If you wish to hold off changing the password at this time to see if an issue is identified, then you can. 

If not, then we can try the password change as advised above. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Omadawn
Up to speed

Oh for crying out loud, a customer can receive emails but not send them. But it works when not connected to a VM system, ie a cellular connection or someone else’s WiFi!

Now there have been many, many reports on here of this and exactly what it means. Why it seems to be such a mystery to forum team members is a little odd as this has been going on for years!

Your IP address is listed on one of the Spamhaus blocklists and as such VM are actively and deliberately preventing you from sending email. You have some device on your home network which has become infected with some malware and is sending out spam messages. This has been picked up, reported to Spamhaus, your IP address has been listed and VM (for better or worse) have blocked you from sending emails.

Absolutely nothing you can do about it, other than find out the underlaying cause and fixing it. VM will not, indeed cannot help you with this, it’s down to you to do it. There are, I believe, some sticky messages at the top of this section regarding tracking down spambots on your network.

Again, why this seems to be such a mystery to the forum team members, I couldn’t properly say!

Hello szkopy.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about you not being able to send emails over your WiFi Network.

As @Omadawn has advised it will be your IP address that has been blackiisted.

You can check it here 

Also it would be wise to run a full virus scan on each device that has access to your home network.

Once that has been done it can take up to 24 hours for the IP address to be removed off the Blacklist.

Can you please let me know how you get on.

Gareth_L