cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot login to email account

matteaston
Joining in

Last week I was unable to login to my email account and still can't login. It just says 'couldn't logon to \imap server. Check email and password'

This is happening in outlook on both my laptop and phone and I have not changed any settings.

It is an ntlworld account which I have had for years and am missing out on my emails.

Before I have to go through the long process of changing everything and informing everyone is there anything that can be done or any reason for this which is likely to be fixed.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@matteaston  You need to create a Mail app password to use with email clients using IMAP to access the email address.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management.

Once generated use the new password in the password field for the incoming and outgoing server settings of your email client.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, MyVM isn't recognising my email address or password either so I can't access any of the settings in there.

Hey matteaston,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account at the moment, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L