cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get into my emails.

Tuning in

Had to reload Win 11. Since then Ive had problems getting into some of my email accounts, tried entering old and new email passwords but still cant get in, it says they are incorrect. How do I get back in. Only my one of secondary passwords is working at the moment. jdunnp.......g@

Kind regards

John Dunn.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@322967  You should use it in the password field under settings in Thunderbird for the email account concerned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@322967  Are you having problems with access via VM webmail or when using a third party email client?

If the latter then try creating an app password for the email address.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham

Thanks for your help. Ive done what you suggested and I now have the app password. Would you know where I enter it into Thunderbird.

Regards

John.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@322967  You should use it in the password field under settings in Thunderbird for the email account concerned.

Thanks Graham, that worked, now back into my main email account. I have three other ntlworld emails. Will that password work on the others or will they have to have separate passwords.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If they are secondary accounts then they will have their own password.

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

The same instructions as before apply to creating the app passwords.

Tuning in

Hi Graham

Thanks again for your previous help. As stated I have Thunderbird. Ive manged to get some of my emails working. I still have two to set up. Ive tried various old passwords, but none work. One of them ntl, I was using until last week, the other is virgin.net which I haven't used for a long time. How do I set up new passwords for these two, not knowing what the previous password were.

Regards

John.

Hello 322967.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to hear about the email issues you are having.

I can take a look at both of these for you from here and see if the passwords can be reset.

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the logo top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L