Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cannot delete folder in webmail

I have a problem with a particular folder in VM's webmail. I have managed to delete it from all other devices/programs except VM webmail. It keeps saying that I have insufficient permissions on the trash folder or that it's location doesn't exist!

There is no email in the folder as I have moved it's contents elsewhere and webmail says the folder is empty. It keeps showing up and no matter what I try I cannot change it's imap subscription as it is greyed out on that too.

Sometimes it has reappeared on other devices/apps after a short time.

I just want to delete it permanently.........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot delete folder in webmail

The Trash folder is an essential component of the VM Webmail service. YOU CANNOT DELETE IT (nor any of the other essential folders for that matter). If you are using IMAP to view your emails from a device such as a phone then you can remove the Trash folder from the folder names which are synchronised between Webmail and the phone and whose contents are presented for your phone to view. BUT YOU CANNOT DELETE THE TRASH FOLDER FROM THE WEBMAIL SYSTEM. (I cannot think of any reason why anyone would ever want to).

I suggest you read a few of the many internet articles which describe how IMAP works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I was NOT talking about the trash folder thank you very much - you do not need to reply in that manner. It is the error message I get when I try to delete a folder I created. It won't move it to the trash folder for deletion. I KNOW YOU CAN'T DELETE THE TRASH FOLDER.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Are you synchronising IMAP client between event and waiting until they reflect the changes made?

What devices, operating system, email clients are involved and can you describe the folder creation process and deletion?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It appears to only be happening on my Android devices. I normally use a Windows 7 PC with Mozilla Thunderbird and this issue does not seem to affect that now. I know that the Android Email and Gmail apps cannot delete folders/labels, so I use the VM webmail page to try to delete these folders that I created but keep getting the error message about insufficient permissions on the Trash folder or that the folder (the one I am trying to delete) doesn't exist. I have tried to unsubscribe from the IMAP folders in question but cannot do that either. There are no messages in the folders I am trying to delete. I just want to get rid of the things as they are appearing on my Gmail apps on my phone and tablet. It only affects VM email account and not the Gmail one.

0 Kudos