cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot control 2nd Email Account !!!!

grahamm77
On our wavelength

We have been with Virgin Media for Broadband/Email for over 10 years.  When we were first set up I was the account holder lets say it was grahamXX@blueyonder.co.uk.  (I think that was because virgin bought Telewest??).  My wife then had a 2nd Email address susanYY@blueyonder.co.uk  Everything fine - I can control the account through my a/c/  Wife receiving Email OK.  Then when Web Mail was introded THEY made me use a new Email account such as grahamZZ@VIRGINMEDIA.COM.  I have no idea why?? VM never explained this.  My wife asked me to set up her Email on Outlook on Android phone - no problems - I can do it manually re IMAP and PORTS etc... if necesary.  BUT i have forgotten susanYY Email password.  However I cannot set it via my ACCOUNT grahamXX. AS it knows my a/c grahamXX a/c holder and it shows one other Email a/c - address grahammZZ@virginmedia.com.  This moring after 3 phone calls they said add susanYY where it says create new Email.  That doesn't work.  SECOND phone call to VM after loads of holds.  They say they cannot add  or link susanYY to my a/c grahamXX.  I they do my Email will stop working?  So I cannot add/link my wifes Email a/c nor can they !! Nor can I control it.  Yet VM created this problem as they were surely linked at the beginning.  Interestingly I am logged on as grahamXX as a/c holder and go to Email from that site - I see all my wife's Email.  This as I tried to politely say to the Help Desk in SA is an absolute mess.  And I worked before retirement in IT networking and UNIX.  How am I a user to supposed to administer my accounts aka Email.  A Supervisor is ringing me back so they say.  I was not rude or accuse the Help Desk in SA.  But I am not a happy bunny with VM aka technical administration.  The fibre broadband is good.  Just put my phone 'land line' on broadband - heaven knows what technical assistance problems I will run it with that if I have problems.  Are VM really a major Communications player??

17 REPLIES 17

grahamm77
On our wavelength

I missed the Tick Box to see Email message that there are replies.  Oops but I have spent over 1 hour to VM and 4 help desk assistance and my grey cells are over tired and stressed !!!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@grahamm77  As you can see the SusanYY emails when looking at the GrahamXX account the implication is that the Susan address is an alias of the GrahamXX address.  This was an option that was available in the blueyonder days.  The two addresses share the same password and mailbox.

So you should be able to set up the Susan account via an email app by using current password for the GrahamXX account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No that doesn't work.  Used an Outlook app with susanmXX and the Password for grahamm7 and it tells me the userID and password don't match.   It is really up to VM to sort this but they say they Can't and that I can't either.  What a Communication company that can't sort out this mess that they have created.  But thanks for trying to help

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@grahamm77 wrote:

No that doesn't work.  Used an Outlook app with susanmXX and the Password for grahamm7 and it tells me the userID and password don't match.   It is really up to VM to sort this but they say they Can't and that I can't either.  What a Communication company that can't sort out this mess that they have created.  But thanks for trying to help

I believe you have misunderstood the advice @Graham_A gave earlier, i.e. there is a single mailbox for grahamXX@blueyonder.co.uk  that has an alias email address of susanYY@blueyonder.co.uk  associated with it.

Unfortunately I cannot give specific instructions as I use a different email client but the process should be similar. When setting up your wife's email account enter her name and email address (susanYY@blueyonder.co.uk) except when entering authentication credentials, for IMAP or POP3, and SMTP server, where you should enter your email address (grahamXX@blueyonder.co.uk) and password.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi there @grahamm77 

Thank you so much for your post to our community forums and welcome to the team, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced these issues with your service and email, and a big thank you to Graham_A and 
用心棒 for their help and advise so far. 

Have you been able to set up an account via an email provider using the steps the team have provided? 

grahamm77
On our wavelength

I have no problem setting up Email even manually.  The problem is I don't know the password for my wife's Email.  But it is not shown on VM system as connected to my account with my Email.  Virgin Help Desk say we can't administer it as it is not shown attached to your account!  I can't either administer it as it is not show on the control web panel of my account.  Virgin say they can't add my wife's Email to my account.  I can't administer it.  They are virtually saying they can't do anything at Help Desk level.  But as people on the forum point out Help Desk operatives don't usually have much technical knowledge. I have raised a complaint with Virgin via the Web.

Hi @grahamm77, thank you for your response. We understand your frustration 😔

Have you been advised as to when you should expect to be contacted regarding your complaint?

You can track it using our online checker here.

Please pop back to us whenever you're ready.

Regards,
Daniel

grahamm77
On our wavelength

On my second call the Help Desk person said a supervisor would contact me.  No time given and they didn't.  So I made a new call to MS Help Desk - just change my wife's Email server/web password.  No we can't do that because it is NOT associated with my account that is the owner.  So it doesn't appear associated to the main account etc..  EVEN to the Help Desk.  So they had to refer it to ITD - the IT Department.  They gave me the Ticket Number of the referral to IT.  I said well Email me the Ticket Number.  The front line Help Desk cannot send out Emails to customers !!  They said ITD will contact me by Email presumably on my Virgin Media Email and not the blueyonder ??  And we can arrange a phone call or what ever.  I must admit having been in IT and having dealt with help desks etc..  I find the way that VM Help Desk operates strange and not very helpful to a customer.  But there you go - Love the good cable Broadband but never impressed with technical support.  Apart from I spoke to an engineer behind the scenes.  

grahamm77
On our wavelength

It gets even madder!!  Virgin Media rang me without any prior arrangement.  They didn't identify themselves clearly as Virgin Media IT Department!!  I started to explain the situation.  They said they would change the password on my wife's Email account that is not listed as associated with my account.  My VM account is controlled by my blueyonder.co.uk ID.  This used to be what I used to receive my Email on.  My wife has a blueyonder.co.uk Email that she used and still receives Email on.  VM at some point when I think they supported web mail said no you can't receive Email on your blueyonder and gave me a virginmedia.com Email that I now receive my Email on.  So the IT engineer in SA changed the password so she said for my wife's Email.  NO!  she has changed the Email for my main blueyonder.co.uk Email the ID that controls the account.  I now have to login in as the very insecure PWD they set.  And when having gone onto my Virgin account via the new PWD it won't let me change it.  The mess just continues.  I did explain to the engineer that I am ex IT network engineer.  Asked for some explanation as to what we were doing and why it was like this.  No they just wanted to push the things and change things at their end - and in my engineering opinion making a complete mess.  With other companies when I get an engineer and they realise I am engineer we talk about what we are doing and it works a treat.  But not with VM.  This is why I so often resort to the Forum.  (Thanks all you on the Forum who try to help this frustrated VM user).  Heaven knows how we will sort this out.  And one day VM might explain the relationship between the 3 ID on the 2 domains and how their crazy systems is set up.