Menu
dhudson241
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cannot access @virgin.net email account

As of early today I can no longer access my @virgin.net email account on any device/method. The  message from VirginMedia webmail is that my password is incorrect though I am absolutely certain I have not changed it myself. I am very concerned that my password may have been changed and someone else has access to my email, but I'm also aware that not being able to access my account may be a result of actions by VirginMedia, in connection to orphaned email accounts perhaps. 

I am a long-standing VirginMedia broadband customer but have continued to use my original dial-up virgin.net address. At the time of becoming a VirginMedia broadband customer I don't think I was able to link my virgin.net address to the account and ended up using a Gmail address as the primary email address on the account. I would much prefer that my virgin.net address was the primary address on the account!

I appear unable to reset my password on the virgin.net account since the email address is not linked to my broadband account. It may be that I need to have a 'Move and Transfer' process take place so that my old virgin.net address becomes the primary address linked to my broadband account. Whatever, I am pretty desperate to resolve this issue as soon as possible

Can anyone help me with this? I'll be eternally grateful!

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot access @virgin.net email account

Yes it is likely that VM are in the process of deleting this "orphan" address. Read this for an explanation and answers.:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

VM staff might be able to help with the "move and transfer" process described in the sticky post. But this is not guaranteed.  Wait here for them to reach your post and for their reply in this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

dhudson241
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your advice, HowardML.

Do you have any idea how long one might typically wait for VM staff to reach a post of my type? After 48 hours I am beginning to wonder whether it is going to happen, but perhaps I'm being unrealistic. It would certainly provide some reassurance to know that they will eventually respond to it in some way. Just knowing whether my email account has been locked by VM or hacked by a 3rd party would be helpful. The message from VM webmail (and other methods) is simply that my password is no longer correct (despite me not having changed it), not that the account has been locked or disabled. If the latter is the case it would be nice if the error message said as much. I have received no emails from VM warning me of pending deletion of the account, which presumably they could have sent if intending to. All rather stressful!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

can be up to a week. But replying may delay that as the forum team can think tis getting help form the community

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Joe_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello dhudson241

I am sorry to hear that, I will need to pop you a private message to look into this for you.

Thanks Joe_F

bluemoon59
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Joe_F can you help me with the same problem too please

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

start a new thread with your problem

1) this one is marked as solved
2) this is 6 months old
3) Joe_F no longer works here.