cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access ntlworld email via BT Wifi

MagpieSupernova
On our wavelength

I am away from home, where we have VM and trying to access @ntlworld.com email connected to a BT hub. All other internet activity works fine, but cannot access email via iPhone or windows laptop. Have to switch off WiFi connection and use 4G on my phone or connect laptop to phone hotspot to send / receive email.

Any ideas? Is this a Machiavellian plot by BT?

TIA

12 REPLIES 12

MagpieSupernova
On our wavelength

I am away from home, where we have VM and trying to access @ntlworld.com email connected to a BT hub. All other internet activity works fine, but cannot access email via iPhone or windows laptop. Have to switch off WiFi connection and use 4G on my phone or connect laptop to phone hotspot to send / receive email.

Any ideas? Is this a Machiavellian plot by BT?

TIA

Hi @MagpieSupernova

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding your NTL email not working on BT WiFi, I'm sorry to hear you are unable to access your emails on the WiFi.

As your mail works when you hot spot off your phone then it is possible that BT are blocking your IP address (via the Hub) for some reason. Hot spotting of your phone changes your IP address to that of your phone provider.  It is possible that your IP address may have been blacklisted.

To check if it has been blacklisted, follow these steps:

- Visit this link and note the IP address.

-Then paste that IP address in the IP box on https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

then pop back on hear to tell us the result. Do not post your IP address on this Forum for security reasons. Just tell us whether your address is listed and if so on what list.

Kind regards,

Serena

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider trying the following from your Windows (10) laptop when  connected to BT's network:

• open a Command Shell (Windows key + X and then select Command Prompt)
  • enter the following command

curl  smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com​

• post the resulting output here

FYI: if the curl command successfully connects then the issue is likely at Virgin Media end

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Serena,

IP address is on the Policy Blocklist according to the spamhaus link.

Regards

Chris

If it's just on the policy blocklist, then that's fine and won't cause an issue.

@MagpieSupernova when you say it doesn't connect, do you get any sort of error message back? As a fall-back, you should be able to log into VM's webmail interface on any web browser and view and send email.

I’ve accessed through Virgin Webmail no problem. Mail from other providers is all coming through. On iPhone, get:

Account error

Mail server imap.ntlworld.com is not responding.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm going to address @Serena_C 's post here

@Serena_C wrote:

Thank you for making this post regarding your NTL email not working on BT WiFi, I'm sorry to hear you are unable to access your emails on the WiFi.

As your mail works when you hot spot off your phone then it is possible that BT are blocking your IP address (via the Hub) for some reason. Hot spotting of your phone changes your IP address to that of your phone provider.  It is possible that your IP address may have been blacklisted.

1. It's unlikely that BT are intentionally blocking @MagpieSupernova 's connection.
  2. Blacklisting is not used with IMAP or POP3 connections, only SMTP and even then only with SMTP delivery on port 25 NOT SMTP submission.

To check if it has been blacklisted, follow these steps:

- Visit this link and note the IP address.

-Then paste that IP address in the IP box on https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
 - See my noted above.  However VM are naughty and use the CSS on email submission.  BT IP adresses should be on certain policy blacklists like Spamhaus PBL, SORBS DUHL, as should VM residential IP addresses.

then pop back on hear to tell us the result. Do not post your IP address on this Forum for security reasons. Just tell us whether your address is listed and if so on what list.

Kind regards,

Serena

@MagpieSupernova - Can you try typing cmd into the windows search bar and pressing enter.  Then enter the command tracert imap.virginmedia.com

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Tim,

instead of the Windows route, I’ve downloaded iNettools app to my iPhone and run Trace Route on that.

imap.ntlworld.com resolves to 81.130.111.239.

The trace shows three intermediate IPs.

Regards

Chris