Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Cannot access email

I have been unable to access my blueyonder email account since about 10.15 a.m. this morning.  When I try to access my emails using my iPhone I get a message back to the effect that ("The mail server "imap4.blueyonder.co.uk" is not responding.  Verify that you have entered the correct account in the Mail settings" (which I have!).  When I try to access my emails via webmail I get the response "Your mailbox is not available at the moment.  Please try in an hour etc. etc...".  Interestingly enough, I can still send outgoing email messages from my iPhone.

I have already called your customer services team on 150 at about lunchtime today and was told that it apparently has something to do with the impending withdrawal of the blueyonder.co.uk email addresses.....!!!  I have heard nothing previously about this.

My main concern however, is that about a month ago someone managed to hack my email account and set up an auto forward rule that I managed (thankfully quickly) to reverse and I am really anxious that something similar has happened once more.

Unfortunately your customer services rep was unable to offer any solution other than raising an IT ticket (which she apparently did) but advised that it could take up to 72 hours to be resolved...!  Whilst I appreciate the fact that these matters can take some time to fix I am extremely worried by the thought that someone else is gaining access to my emails.

Any help you can provide would be really, really welcome.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot access email

As a ticket has already been raised with IT there probably isn't anymore they can do until the ticket is closed.

Provided that your blueyonder address is attached to your current VM broadband account then there is no risk of it being withdrawn.  More call center nonsense I'm afraid.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Graham

Many thanks for your prompt reply and comment.  My real concern is not that my blueyonder account will be withdrawn (although that is probably a battle for a later day!) but that someone may have gained unauthorised access to it.  This is what happened a month ago when someone did manage to get in and set up a forwarding rule diverting all my emails to an unknown gmail account.  Not sure that the customer services rep shared my worries!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Once you have regained access it is important that you follow all the steps set out here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Use a unique password, change the security answers and re check for auto forward and filters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Graham for your reply.  I was aware of the information contained in the link that you posted having had to do these very actions about a month ago when my account was hacked.  My dilemma this time is that I don't know whether the inability to access my email messages (using either the imap server or via webmail) has been caused by another hack or more simply by an IT glitch at Virgin Media's.  If it's the latter, then I'll be able to sleep slightly easier tonight!  My purpose in raising it through this forum is that I noticed that hit issue seems to have been a recurring one for many VM customers of late - some of whom appear to have had success in getting the issue resolved through this portal.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The continued lack of access to my email account is now getting to the serious stage!  This was reported to Customer Service on Wednesday who said that they would raise an IT ticket and someone would be in touch.  To date .....complete silence!  It appears that other VM customers have suffered a similar problem and, having posted on here, have (in the majority of cases) had the problem resolved by a VM rep who has picked up their message. Can someone please do the same for me!!  I would be eternally grateful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Commander208,

Thanks for posting here. 

I'm really sorry that you've had no update since your IT ticket was raised. 

I've managed to locate it and IT needed some further information, which I have now provided.

They should now be able to get this fixed for you ASAP. 

Thanks

Melissa 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Melissa

Thank you very much for picking this up.  Hopefully matters will be resolved quickly.  It's just a pity that it needed me to post on here to prompt some action - I would have thought that if IT had needed some more information in order to progress matters following my telephone to Customer Services that they would have contacted me directly.  Thank you anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

IT are an internal team and so wouldn't make calls themselves, but you're right, one of our team should have been in contact. 

I can only apologise, and assure you that I've given the details, and they can contact me if they need anything more.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Melissa.  Still no access as I write but hopefully somebody is working on the case.

0 Kudos