Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cannot access email

For the last week I have been unable to access my NTL world emails.
I received a text a couple of weeks ago saying my account was locked, so was advised to change my password.

This resolved it for about a week.
So now I can't login at all. 
Rang CS and was told my account was hacked a deactivated and advised to change my username with a different email address and they gave me a reset password. The advisor was meant to ring back later that day as I was going to access the account and forward all my saved emails to my Gmail account.

Never heard back so rang again and was told that this was a known issue which should have been 12/06/20.

It still isn't. I cannot access it on any device and neither online via loging into my.

Any ideas anyone? I have lost all folders on my iPhone and iPad 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot access email

Good Evening wrg1405,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you

Sorry to see you've been having issues with your NTL World E-Mails, have you been able to access the NTL World  account since your post on Saturday?

Are the NTL World E-Mail addresses connected to an active account?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi David thanks for responding.

Yes am able access my emails after speaking to someone today.

I can only do that via online login to virginmedia.

The person I spoke to reset the password for me so I could access it.

Trouble is now that I cannot access the emails on my Apple devices as I do not know the password for the NTL world email and I'm confused as to how I set it up on my apple devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was advised to change my username to my Gmail account and log in online using that and as a result I can access email via the link.

But as said I am confused what to setting it up on my apple devices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me wrg1405,

If you access your self-care account you will be able to make changes to the passwords of the secondary E-Mail accounts.

If you can try making these changes via the self-care account and then accessing the E-Mail accounts with the new password via the apps to see if this now works.

If not, remove the accounts from the Apple application and then reinstate them and attempt to log in, again with the new password

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me.

My NTL world email was the primary account and was my log in.

I can no longer log in or see that email as primary or a sub account.

The login in as my username is my Gmail account for online. So when I login to VM I can see the emails and when I link to email settings there is no option to change the email.

So on my Apple devices when I try to set up email I have to put in the email address. I use the NTL world one.

When asked for username I use the gmail log in and password.

The IMAP and smtp default to virginmedia. I have changed it to ntlword and the server ports but it's rejected as a result of incorrect password.

Yet when I login online with the username and password for the Gmail account i get to see my emails to ntlworld.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is a mine field caused by changing the account username.  There is a way to get around this when using an email client, but foolishly I haven't book marked the relevant post.  I think @ravenstar68 may have posted the article I am thinking of, so when he gets a chance I hope he may be able to chip in.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks, appreciate your time.

I only changed the account username on advice of the person I spoke to on the phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

There are two usernames in play on VM's system when it comes to email.

Single Sign On (SSO) usernames that are used to log in to VM's services such as my.virginmedia and mail.virginmedia.com
Plain usernames used for IMAP/POP3/SMTP

Changing the former does not change the latter.

Thus even though I currently log in to Webmail using personaladdress@personaldomain.com (you'll pardon me if I don't share the actual address ;)), to log in to webmail, when it comes to using Outlook, iOS Mail, etc I still use my full email address e.g. joebloggs@blueyonder.co.uk as the username.

The password is the same in both cases.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim,

I did think that was the answer, but wanted reassurance before posting.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more