cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access - Hotmail account and Ntl email

spannerman
Tuning in

Hi, I keep trying to get VM to accept my hotmail account settings without much luck, any assistance would be appreciated so I can access both accounts.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

4 REPLIES 4

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@spannerman wrote:

trying to get VM to accept my hotmail account settings without much luck, any assistance would be appreciated

Are you trying to add your Hotmail account to your VM webmail account so you can manage your VM and Hotmail account using VM webmail's "Unified mail" option? If so I am guessing webmail is reporting that your Hotmail password is incorrect.

It is definitely possible to manage a Hotmail/Gmail account for your webmail account but it is complicated by the fact that Google (so Gmail and Hotmail) views VM webmail as an "insecure" app.

That means you have to generate a separate app password from your Google account to use in your Hotmail settings in place of your regular VM password when you add the Hotmail account into your Webmail account.

1) Before you start anything you have to make sure that your Hotmail/Gmail account has IMAP turned on.

• Sign into your Hotmail account, click on the cog (settings) icon and click on "See all settings"
  • Then click on "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" and scroll down to "IMAP access:"
  • Make sure that "Enable IMAP" is selected.

2) Once you have done that you can move on to generating the email app password.

Here's the link from Google support pages that explains how to do that https://support.google.com/mail/answer but in summary:

• You will first have to enable 2 factor authentication on your Google account  (if you have not got that setup already).
  • You can then generate the mail app password

Finally, you can now try adding the Hotmail account to VM webmail as you did before but this time copy and paste that mail app password you have just created into the password field instead of your regular Google/Gmail/Hotmail password.

See how you go with that. It does work - I have just done it to make sure it works.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi spannerman

Thanks for posting in regards to your email account, were you able to follow the steps from coenoby and resolve this?

Let us know.

Rob

Hi, all sorted, I think it was down to me and not putting the correct settings in. Thanks.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Perfect, thank you for letting us know it's resolved. 

Have a lovely weekend 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan.