cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Access Email. For the second time in a month.

Macflame
On our wavelength

I use Mailbird as a mail client for my email accounts.
I logged on at 12.19pm and downloaded some emails.
At around 2.30pm and 16.30pm I tried to download more emails but received an error that authentication had failed.
I then tried to log into Virgin Media email via the website. It would not accept my password, which I had written down after I changed it last time. The system would not accept my password. Nor would it accept my security question.
My mail box has been hacked previously and it took me three days of calling Virgin, I did not get an answer for the first few days and got fed up waiting on the line, to gain access again.
My password is encrypted and saved in my mail client. It is not saved on my browsers.
I run two virus checkers daily to make sure I am not downloading malware/ransome ware.
Would someone please get in touch to help me resolve this problem?

10 REPLIES 10

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Macflame, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the email.
May I ask what happens if you go through the forgotten password route on the browser?
Let us know and we can go on from there and look further in to the matter.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Macflame
On our wavelength

When I input the answers to the security questions, the page just refreshes and does not do anything else.
My account was hacked a few weeks ago, so I phoned Virgin Media and got an answer on the third day of calling, as I could not change the password online.
Again I entered the security question details and the page just refreshed. I tried it on two other browsers to make sure it was not an HTML problem.
The operator changed my password for me, and all was well for a couple of weeks. Then I was locked out of my account again on Sunday afternoon. I had been able to access my email earlier that same day.
I had not received any warning emails from Virgin saying I had triggered a malware alert. But I had already run checks from two malware detection software companies, which did not find anything. Nor have they since.
This is the error I get when I use the curl command.
curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ilyas_Y, the issue shown by curl needs to be addressed by Virgin Media because the revocation status of the certificate cannot be checked meaning a secure connection with the server cannot be established — AFAICS similar reports appear to have resolved themselves before Virgin Media were able to investigate.

@Macflame, If you have access to another network then whilst connected to it see

• if running curl still returns the revocation error 
  • if your email client can successful connect

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

@ 用心棒 Unfortunately I do not have access to another network.
If it means anything my mail client, Mailbird, is able to log onto other mail accounts.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will likely find that running the curl command against those other accounts shows there is no issue establishing a secure connection, for example with Fastmail, curl -v smtps://smtp.fastmail.com

After speaking to Virginmedia, and talking to three different agents, I now have access to my Virgin emails. 
I now find that my email client still cannot connect, but I can sign in via a browser. So I am halfway there.
I double-checked the smtp settings and they are OK. Entered the new password but I am getting an authentication error.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

Hi Macflame, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the email service.  Can you confirm if you have done what 用心棒 has suggested? Can you post the possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.
Chris. 

Macflame
On our wavelength

I can't reproduce the error as my access has now been restored. But I did post it in an earlier post: curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.