cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling broadband

Sa5
Joining in

Cancelling my service have a ntlworld email address what happens to that address once I leave the service 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

i do not know why virgin don't tell/remind customers when they leave that they will lose access to their email. though we would get claims of blackmail on here no doubt. 

in the 21st century you would think there would be an automated system in place that closes the accounts at the 90 day point. add that to the above and none of this nonsense that we have all spent endless posts commenting again and again on over several years would happen.

anyone casually reading this, never use any internet service provider email address. when you leave it is typically closed down either immediately or some time after or in the past has required payment for it to continue. in virgins case eventuually...it just gets deleted. 

we have been with virgin for well over a decade now. not used their email service once. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It becomes an orphan account

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jem101
Superstar

@Sa5 according to VM’s terms and condition, the email address and all the email contained within it absolutely WILL be deleted 90 days after you leave. So far so good, in practice, there are many posts here reporting that email mailboxes and addresses have continued to work of months, if not years afterwards and suddenly been deleted with, apparently, no notice. Sorry, no you did have notice, it was in the Ts and Cs, you just don’t follow them.

Now to be honest VM do themselves no favours at all by not promptly killing off old email mailboxes and addresses after the 90 day timeline, but it is what it is. Personally I would work on the basis that it will die after 90 days; but might not, so make sure that any contact / third parties service has been told about your new address and is using it, Then when you leave, just delete any mention of the old VM mailbox from all of your devices and assume that it no longer exists.

Now if VM fail to delete it by the deadline, then is this an issue? It’s just some random email address which isn’t tied to any services of yours’ who who cares if it is compromised!

Oh you did delete all of the email within it before you left didn’t you?

i do not know why virgin don't tell/remind customers when they leave that they will lose access to their email. though we would get claims of blackmail on here no doubt. 

in the 21st century you would think there would be an automated system in place that closes the accounts at the 90 day point. add that to the above and none of this nonsense that we have all spent endless posts commenting again and again on over several years would happen.

anyone casually reading this, never use any internet service provider email address. when you leave it is typically closed down either immediately or some time after or in the past has required payment for it to continue. in virgins case eventuually...it just gets deleted. 

we have been with virgin for well over a decade now. not used their email service once. 

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sa5, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're leaving us and I wish you the very best of luck for the future.  In regards to your email address, I cannot add anything to what the fantastic jem101has advised.  Remember, if you ever need help in the future, our amazing community members and indeed our forum staff, are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R