Menu
djcb95
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can’t send iPhone email when on wifi

Have had problems sending emails from my iPhone 7 and iPad for the last few days. Have checked imap and smtp settings- all ok. Now I have worked out that if I turn my virgin media WiFi off on the phone, I can send emails. I get the message username or password is incorrect as soon as I turn WiFi on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t send iPhone email when on wifi

Step one

When connected to your home wifi, we need to get your public IP address, easiest way is to open a web browser and goto www.whatismyip.com This will display a page showing your address - in the top left hand corner will be  : My Public IPv4 is a.b.c.d

it'll be something like 78.79.80.81 make a note of this address.

Step two

Now goto https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ this webpage will have two dialogue boxes, in the top one enter the address as you got it from the first step and press the 'Lookup' button

The page will then show something similar to this

a.b.c.d is not listed in the SBL

a.b.c.d is listed in the PBL, in the following records:

a.b.c.d is not listed in the XBL

Without actually posting the exact IP address, reply back here with the results you get - ideally you want your address just listed in the PBL, if either of the other two lines show in red as being listed, then we'll know what the issue is (probably) and you'll have a bit of work to resolve it. 

0 Kudos
dazlicous
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Deleted 

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Djcb95 and welcome to our community.

Have you been through the suggested list above from the community?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
djcb95
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

When I followed the I.P. Address checks SBL .... PBL. & XBL all were green and said not listed.

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply @djcb95 

I appreciate this would be frustrating. Just to clarify, are you able to log in and send emails via WiFi on another device/browser? 

Are you currently having issues with the Mail App on all iOS devices still since checking the IP address? 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
djcb95
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I also cannot send emails on the iPad which requires WiFi. As soon as I turn off the Virgin media WiFi I can send emails on my iPhone 7.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us djcb95,

Have you been able to remove the E-Mail address from the applications and then reinstate the address to the application? Please try doing this whilst connected to the Wi-Fi 

Can you also ensure that you're running the move up to date iOS software and version on the application on both devices?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. So we can get some clarity to help us investigate this, when using webmail from a browser are you able to send and receive okay when using WiFi?  And can you confirm that you've tried what Dave suggested above? Please can you also check to see if you can send and receive emails using the Email App on your IOS device when you're using a different WiFi network? It's just something we can rule it out.  

Thanks,  

Lisa 

0 Kudos
djcb95
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have tried everything. Sometimes it appears to work ok for a day or so and then it's back to square one. I have outlook email address and another from my employer. They all work fine all the time - it's only the ntlworld email that is causing severe problems. I update email settings on my PC and soon receive the message that ntlworld settings are out of date. I am also still having to disconnect from my Virgin Media wifi to send ntlworld emails from my iphone 11. I was also put through to tech help at Virginmedia after holding on for 45 minutes. The tech help disconnected within a couple of minutes of me explaining the problem. I also received a message that I could be charged for that 'help'. The service has been a shambles and I rang to end my Virginmedia phone and broadband contract. I was talked into staying with a reduced fee if I signed up for another 18 months. I received an email within a couple of weeks, informing me that my monthly charge was to be increased. Sadly the quality of service is deteriorating rapidly.
0 Kudos