Menu
andy_astra
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can’t send emails

Since yesterday I can’t send an email from my iPhone 6 when using my virgin blueyonder account when on WiFi, works fine on 4g. 

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t send emails

Are you using the blue yonder server settings or the virginmedia..com ones?
If BY then change the imap & smtp servers to virginmedia.com.

0 Kudos
andy_astra
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.com settings. Been working fine for the past 5 years. Works ok on 4g but not on WiFi. 

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are you currently a Virginmedia subscriber?
Try changing the servers to virginmedia.com
imap.virginmedia.com
smtp.virginmedia.com

Or try creating the account again & see if this corrects the problem.

0 Kudos
andy_astra
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tried all that. Spoke to Apple, they’ve said it’s virgin. Spoke to virgin but no help. I did notice a few other people had the same issue but can’t seem to find their posts now. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@andy_astra wrote:

***can’t send an email from my iPhone 6 when using my virgin blueyonder account when on WiFi, works fine on 4g.

I did notice a few other people had the same issue but can’t seem to find their posts now. 

The statement about Wifi and 4g in your first post is the key, It is not good news for you I am afraid because it suggests that your home IP address has been blacklisted by Virgin Media.

Yes there are plenty of other posts about this unfortunately,😞. Put "spambot" into the search box on this forum and the list will go on forever.

Here's a brief one with the key steps you need to take to confirm the diagnosis and the action you need to take to recover the situation:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Blueyonder-email-not-working/m-p/4407484 

and here is a lengthy one with lots of detail in it but which finally ended successfully:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/i-can-t-send-emails-from-my-Android-phone-or-tablet/td-p/... 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
andy_astra
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for this info. My up address appears to be on spamhaus but it’s beyond my abilities to rectify this, my old laptop runs on windows 8. Might have to go to an IT expert. Would you know if virgin Media could sort this out ? 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@andy_astra wrote:

Many thanks for this info. My up address appears to be on spamhaus but it’s beyond my abilities to rectify this, my old laptop runs on windows 8. Might have to go to an IT expert.

OK, well done for coming back. That confirms my fears, I'm just sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Re using an expert, that may be best for you but bear in mind:

1) the Spambot is not necessarily on you laptop, it could be on any smart device that has access to your network so it could be on your iPhone although that's unlikely because Apple devices use a different operating system. Do you have any other devices such as Smart TV, Amazon Firestick etc?

2) Your IT expert is probably going to suggest that the best and easiest way to remove the spambot is to reformat your laptop and to reset any other smart devices that have access to your network back to standard factory setings. That will work but it is a bit like using a double barrel shotgun to get rid of a mouse that's got into your house.

BTW. The second link I gave you was from someone who had little IT experience but they worked through it and resolved the problem.

Would you know if virgin Media could sort this out ? 

That's a definite NO I'm afraid  although they sometimes refer customers to a third party paid for service. In my opinion it would be better to use someone locally that you can look in the eye. Show them the forum post from this link https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... to give them some ideas.

Coenoby

• Add to Phrasebook

• No word lists for English -> English...

• Create a new word list...
  • Copy

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
andy_astra
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for this. Just got a fire stick a couple of days ago. So this might be it. 

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby wrote:

The statement about Wifi and 4g in your first post is the key, It is not good news for you I am afraid because it suggests that your home IP address has been blacklisted by Virgin Media.

That's half correct.  Virgin Media don't run their own blacklists, but they do use other peoples in order to protect their mail submission servers.

0 Kudos