Menu
CraigFindlater
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Can't send emails on ipad and iphone but can on the imac

Have tried so many times to change to the appropriate settings as recommended by Virgin but to no avail. It is seriously frustrating as I can receive emails but not send them. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't send emails on ipad and iphone but can on the imac

Thanks for porting and reaching out to the Community Forums, CraigFindlater,

Sorry to hear that you have been having email issues, Can you tell us if you were getting any type of errors? 

This page might be of some use to configuring your device for email, or maybe just deleteing the email account from your device then re-adding it.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@CraigFindlater 

You say you can send emails using your iMac but in that case are using the Virgin Media Webmail service on the VM website or do you use an email app as per your iPhone and iPad? 

If you have not tried sending directly from the Webmail service you can test that by signing in from here https://my.virginmedia.com using your email address and the password you entered in your email apps. If you can send via Webmail but not via an email app it suggests the problem might be down to an IP blacklisting issue.

Have your tried sending emails from your mobile devices using your VM wifi and mobile data? Can you send when using one network but not the other or do the sends fail on both networks?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
CraigFindlater
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi cenoby

apologies if I appear slow but here is how things are. I can log into the VM website on my imac and send an email no problem. I can also use the apple mail ap and send emails no problem and I can receive them. I also have a google account and can do exactly the same. However trying to use the ntlworld account on both the phone and the ipad I cannot send but can receive emails. It tells me the password or information is incorrect. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the accounts and get the same reply. I understand that Apple only deletes the incoming server and not the SMTP server - it reassociates with the original server. I have tried  coping all the advice given on the VM website for settings and still have the same response - cannot send emails for this account !

I appreciate your response and will try again re the blacklist. Again sorry to appear slow but how do I send emails using VM wifi and mobile data? 

Best wishes Craig

0 Kudos
CraigFindlater
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Checked both my iphone and ipad and neither ip address is blacklisted or blocked according to Spamhaus.
0 Kudos
CraigFindlater
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Corey have tried this but to no success. I understand the problem is that apple re-associates with the SMTP server for outgoing messages and I do not know how to alter this ????
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@CraigFindlater wrote:

how do I send emails using VM wifi and mobile data?

As far as your iPhone is concerned I would expect that you by default you be using "mobile data". By that I mean you will be connecting to the internet using the mobile phone network of the company that you have your mobile phone contract with. That could be O2, EE, 3, or Virgin Mobile for example.

To switch over to accessing the internet using your Virgin Media Broadband wifi (I'm assuming that you have that at home?) you: Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
CraigFindlater
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes that is the case - I use Virgin wifi at home and am connected with O2

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@CraigFindlater wrote:

Yes that is the case - I use Virgin wifi at home and am connected with O2

Great, so do you have the same problem sending emails whether you are using your Wifi or O2?

Coenoby

0 Kudos
CraigFindlater
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Keep getting told sender address is invalid ! - that is using my iphone - on ipad I get username or password is wrong !! I am 99.9% sure it is not ?? I assume I am using wifi as I am in the room with the router

0 Kudos