Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can’t send emails from ntlworld account

Hi, new here but long-standing VM customer 

Thought I’d better start a new thread for a familiar topic it seems.  Like many others it seems looking thru this forum, I can no longer send emails from my ntlworld address via client apps on iPad, phone or laptop but can thru VM Mail.  I read the excellent advice from Ravenstar68 and others and looked at spamhaus site and my IP address is on the list for CSS, PBL and XBL but not on SBL.  This seems to be a common occurrence recently looking at these forums. I wonder if there’s specific issue with the old legacy type email addresses.

I use iPad mainly, along with Samsung phone. Also connected occasionally a laptop, then most of time Amazon echo dot, Amazon 4K firestick which only recently bought and an old firestick, which may be cause of problems so I have disconnected that.  On spamhaus says 6 reports in last 28 days, but was basically in last week from 11th. The last report was yesterday afternoon, nothing since after turned firestick off.  Is it best to wait now to see if IP address drops off and see what happens? Ie if don’t go back on list can assume it’s the old firestick?

thanks in advance for any help anyone provides

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t send emails from ntlworld account

I don't think this is specific to legacy addresses as the symptoms you describe, together with the fact that your external IP address is listed in the Spamhaus CSS blacklist, all lead to the indication that you have a device on your network that is sending out spam - not via any of the usual email channels but via a spambot embedded in one of your devices.

You may well have already identified the culprit as amazon firesticks are often implicated in these situations, especially if they have had apps added to them that appear to allow access to content that would otherwise be behind some sort of pay wall.

There is a 'sticky post' in the security section of the Community which sets out steps to use wireshark to track down the infected device, but it is a daunting process that requires a specific home computer set up to use.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Graham, 

yeah gave the wireshark a go this morning, nothing showed up on iPad or laptop..mind you following the advice when I typed the telnet instruction part in, that didn’t work, so I can only assume wireshark was fine.  The old firestick has not been used for a while but I have had it plugged in the last week.  I will factory reset that at some point but have disconnected now, so will see if drop off list

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Quick question followed the advice for telnet and wireshark, yet when I type in telnet smtp.virginmedia.com 25 or telnet smtp.ntlworld.com 25, it is in red and doesn’t work..  any ideas please?

0 Kudos