Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Can’t send emails from iPhone after password change

I changed my blueyonder password and can send and receive emails on web mail but I keep getting the message “user name or password for SMTP (my email address) is incorrect. 
I have tried various searches and tried deleting the password and reentering it in the SMTP settings but no success. I have the same problem on my iPad and iPhone. I can receive emails ok on both devices. 

I am using port setting 465. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t send emails from iPhone after password change

See this post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

in particular the information under the heading Revised advice for managing sending problems/changing passwords.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I had seen this and tried all the things mentioned but none worked. I tried removing the account and reinstalling but like it says when you delete the account the SMTP is not deleted. I also could not remove all the SMTP accounts as one is my primary one. Do I have to take everything off my phone and restore to factory settings? I have also tried downloading other mail apps but they all are the same. Emails can be received but not sent. Thanks for trying to help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The clue to this one lies in the fact that no e-mail client works on your phone, whichever one you use. You need to answer this question. Can you send mail from VM web mail? If you don't use web mail does the send work when you turn off wifi and use mobile data? If you can answer yes to either question then the conclusion is rather worrying. It implies that VM are preventing any sends from your phone via its servers because of a spam bot infection. But before we go there lets take it a step at a time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can send mail from the phone via web mail. The reason I changed my email password is because my Amazon account was hacked and the email changed to a .ru email. I got a number of emails from Amazon (or they appeared to be from Amazon when I right clicked the email sender's address) giving me a 5 number code to enter into my Amazon account. I ignored these then the next day I got an email from Amazon saying my email address on the Amazon account was changed. I got in touch with Amazon and they have rectified it. Unfortunately the password for my email and Amazon account were the same (both now changed to different passwords). Could this be what the underlying problem is? If so what do I do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The fact that you can send using web mail indicates that your password has been changed correctly in My VM and is being accepted as such by the VM servers that run web mail. On the optimistic side I'd say that that you need to be sure that when using your e-mail programs you are entering the right password and so far as Apple mail is concerned you have followed the guidance we pointed you to the letter. That should work and the fact that it doesn't may point to the fact you have done something wrong. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I can’t see what I could be doing wrong. I tried my old password in the STMP section and it would not verify whereas when I enter the new password and click Done I go back to the last screen so it seems to be accepting it. 

The fact that it is the same on my iPad means it’s not a fault on one device. 

im stumped but at least I can still use my phone to receive and send emails via the Virgin Email service on line. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

My iPhone and iPad are now able to send mail. I’ve done nothing different so could someone from Virgin have seen this and fixed it on their server or could it just have taken a long time to update the SMTP server with my new password?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It won't be the former.  It could be a time delay in the servers synchronising the password change, or it could be that your IP address has been released from the Spamhaus blacklist as the spambot has gone quiet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Tried sending emails from both my iPad and iPhone this morning and back to getting message “”The username or password for SMTP etc @smtp.blueyonder.co.uk is incorrect. 

surely this intermittent fault must be at the Virgin media server. 

0 Kudos