Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Can't send emails from different property

I am still a Virgin customer paying for phone and broadband, however due to Coronavirus I am currently living at a house with a different broadband supplier, not Virgin. On my computer I cannot send emails via smtp.virginmedia.com however on my mobile phone (with EE) I can send via smtp.virginmedia.com.

Can someone explain why the Virgin SMTP gateway still works on my phone? And am I right in assuming that I can't send from my PC because I'm not sending via a Virgin router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't send emails from different property

Without seeing the VMxxx error code that is returned by the smtp server we are guessing as to the cause.

Two possible reasons are:

1. You don't have your smtp server settings set up properly to require sender authentication on your computer but they are set on your phone
  2. and this is more likely - the ip address of the broadband connection you are using has been listed as a source of spam and is on the spamhaus css blocklist.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't send emails from different property

Graham_A left out some extra help:

Here is how to get the VMxxx error code - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

And if you are having problems on your computer using an email client, try using webmail until we get to the bottom of the cause.  That usually works as it is a more secure link to different VM servers.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos