Menu
Highlighted
Faerie1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Can’t send email via home WiFi

Wonder if anyone can help?  (Not sure if this should be in WiFi or email section, apologies if in wrong board)

Over the past few weeks, I can send and receive emails when I’m outside on my phone (through the EE network) when I get home though and my phone connects to WiFi, I get emails but when I try and send emails I get password errors and it doesn’t let me send.  On my iPad, I get emails, again I have problems sending emails, password error

if turn my WiFi off on my phone and connect to 4g, I can send emails, if I turn my WiFi off on my iPad and connect to my phones hotspot, I can send emails I don’t change my details so it’s not a password error as I don’t change that’s just my connection and it’s fine

is there something that’s changed on the WiFi side that is causing this? Never used to happen

thanks in advance for any help

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t send email via home WiFi

Hello Faerie1, thank you for your post and sorry you're having some email issues.

Can I please just confirm, is the password error which shows for you advising you about your email password or your WiFi password?

Also, is this through the webmail or a client (Outlook, Gmail etc)? 

Is this a Virgin Media email address in question?

Let us know so we can advise further.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Faerie1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi

the WiFi is fine, no connection problems.

It's when I click send mail through my iPhone or IPad (when they are connected to WiFi) I get the error.

I disconnect from WiFi, the email sends no problem (either through 4G on my phone or through the phones hotspot on my iPad) it sends without a problem

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information.

Is the email address in question connected to your Virgin Media account?

Are you using your email through the webmail online or through an application such as Outlook, Gmail etc? 

Just need this information so we can advise further.

Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Faerie1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sorry

its my blueyonder email address and it’s through the email program on my apple products

0 Kudos
Highlighted
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Faerie1 wrote:

it’s through the email program on my apple products

If you are using iOS Mail on your iPad, Is this the error message you are getting?:

"Unable to send email. A copy has been placed in your outbox. No password provided.

Please go to Mail Account settings and enter a password."

If so you might like to check this thread.https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Cannot-send-emails-when-away-from-home/td-p/4031187/page/...

Message 20 of 24 from Ravenstar68 may be the surprising solution. If it is I would suggest you give Kudos (click on the thumbs up symbol on his post.) He's a genius Smiley Wink

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby 

You’re along the right lines, but this is the reverse of that one.  As such I’d expect the OP to see

Unable to send mail - Username or password is incorrect.

@Faerie1 , can I suggest you do the following.

1. Enter the term IP into a Google search.
  2. Enter the IP address into https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

I would not be surprised to see your home IP on the CSS or CBL

Ignore any PBL entry, this is normal for a residential IP.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Faerie1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The message I get is 

Cannot send email. The username or password for ******@blueyonder.co.uk is incorrect

i read the other posts, there is always a subject in my emails,  my spam folder is empty so can’t try and send from there

There is one red line on spamhaus, I am trying to clear it but it asks for hostname? Any ideas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Faerie1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

It’s ok, found it...thanks tho
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Faerie1 

You didn't say what came up red.  Could you elaborate?  I personally would expect that you saw an SBL listing with mention of the CSS  But actual confirmation would be nice.

@Emily_G 

I'd also like to talk about how I personally use information in a post to work out the answers to some questions without having to ask them.

Here's the orginal post again

Wonder if anyone can help?  (Not sure if this should be in WiFi or email section, apologies if in wrong board)

Apology not necessary, it's in the right place.

Over the past few weeks, I can send and receive emails when I’m outside on my phone (through the EE network) when I get home though and my phone connects to WiFi, I get emails but when I try and send emails I get password errors and it doesn’t let me send.  On my iPad, I get emails, again I have problems sending emails, password error

This tells us 4 things.

• It's not a wifi issue
  • She's using an email client as she talks about receive working OK but sending causing password errors.
  • While not clear what phone she has, she is using an iPad most people will use the stock email client.
  • The password referred to is the SMTP password.

However because we know this works when not connected to her home Wifi, we know the password itself is ok.

I don't know if you have seen the SMTP error list but I will PM you a link to it.  I've been asked not to share it in full on the public side, but all us Superusers have access, which does help.

if turn my WiFi off on my phone and connect to 4g, I can send emails, if I turn my WiFi off on my iPad and connect to my phones hotspot, I can send emails I don’t change my details so it’s not a password error as I don’t change that’s just my connection and it’s fine

This hints at IP blocking rather than connection issues.  VM don't block the connection itself, but will refuse to authenticate SMTP in certain cases.

is there something that’s changed on the WiFi side that is causing this? Never used to happen

A perfect example of how a question can end up being misleading if you're not aware of the full facts.

thanks in advance for any help

With the above in mind, I personally would not ask:

Can I please just confirm, is the password error which shows for you advising you about your email password or your WiFi password?

Also, is this through the webmail or a client (Outlook, Gmail etc)? 

I've also given @Faerie1 Kudos for the original post, as it's very helpful when someone gives as much information as possible in their original post.  A good post should always aim to answer questions that are likely to be asked.   I personally hate it when I end up playing 20 questions.  Thank you for being so clear Faerie1.

Your second post double's down on the first for questions.

So for me diagnosis works like this.

1. using email program
  2. can send and receive when away from home
  3. Can receive but not send when home.  Gets SMTP password error.

From 2 we know they have the correct settings as they can send, just not when connected to their home connection.

From 3 - We know that the error is happening during SMTP authentication.  Now the confusing thing is, that some of the errors that happen at this stage have nothing to do with passwords. For example a 525 VM304 error happens when the LDAP backend thinks the account is closed when it's not. (just an example).

The most likely cause is an IP issue, so I would ask if the home IP is blacklisted, but I take pains to make people aware that they should ignore any PBL entry, or SORBS DUHL and any other policy blacklist for that matter.

TBF VM uses blacklists in an unusual manner.  They're not normally used for email submission, but more for email delivery.

Don't just Delist

If someone is on the CSS it's important that they take steps to check everything on their network for malware.  The CSS is a real time blacklist, indicating that traffic has been seen originating from that IP address.  If there is malware on the system then the next time it sends you will end up being blacklisted again.

Once you're sure it's clear, then delist your IP

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped