Menu
Highlighted
Connoleg
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can't send email from MacBook

Hi,

I have had a problem sending email all this week, have confirmed settings and password but still can't send emails from my MacBook using Apple Mail. Emails just sit in outbox

Interestingly, I can send from my Samsung mobile on home WiFi so I know the account/password is still OK and account not hacked or locked out.

I didn't change any settings on the Apple Mail application prior to the problem.

Did something change or is there a network issue?

Thank you

Gary

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't send email from MacBook

@Connoleg wrote:

Did something change or is there a network issue?

If there were any general issues affecting sending or receiving VM email this forum would be in meltdown with people reporting them so I think it's safe to say no to both those.Smiley Wink

I have had a problem sending email all this week,

You really need to give a bit more detail on that before anyone can give constructive advice. Posting the full and complete error message or messages that Apple Mail is reporting would be a good start.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Connoleg
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Of course...I was enquiring whether there is a general issue before getting into detail.

The mail client on the mac repeatedly asks for the username and password, no error message

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Connoleg wrote:

The mail client on the mac repeatedly asks for the username and password, no error message

It is a pity Apple Mail does not give a more detailed error message. The problem could either be the username and or password incorrect or the server is refusing to authenticate for other some reason.

Thanks for confirming that you can send using your mobile phone by the way, so as you said, we know there is no problem with your VM email account itself.

I know that you say you have confirmed the settings in Apple Mail but did you check against the latest version of these? https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

The things I would look at specifically are:

1) That you have the username set as your full email address (for example, 'xxxxxxx@virginmedia.com' not just 'xxxxxxx')

2) That you have SSL enabled and IMAP authentication set as 'enabled' or 'password'

3) The you are using the correct ports - 993 for IMAP (or 995 if you are using POP3) and 465 for SMTP

Coenoby

BTW Who is Richard? Smiley Happy

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Connoleg
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have installed outlook on the MacBook and set it up with the same settings as mail. Email is sending again.

Strange that the mail application suddenly started having issues with sending email.

FYI - I was emailing Richard at the same time, its obviously true I can't multitask! 🙂

coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Connoleg wrote:

FYI - I was emailing Richard at the same time, its obviously true I can't multitask! 🙂

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was the only one that did that sort of thing. Smiley LOL

Strange that the mail application suddenly started having issues with sending email.

These strange things do happen. There was a recent thread where the OP reported that his Mail App had suddenly started leaving sent messages in the Outbox and kept trying to resend them. There was no real resolution to that one either.

Glad your up and running again with email on the MacBook.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If outlook is sending and the inbuilt mail application isn't then something may have happened to the settings on the inbuilt application.

Bear in mind that SMTP servers don't know or care what device is connecting to them, all they care about is that:

1. The settings are correct
  2. The user authenticates with a valid email address and password pair prior to sending.

Apple does have the mail connection doctor which is supposed to be helpful here.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204173

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos