Menu
Applewood
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can’t receive mail on Pc

Cannot receive mail on PC since 17/7/19 using Windows Live Mail. Receive ok on my iPad. Had the problem very occasionally in the past for a few hours to a day or so then mails come through. Checked all settings etc and nothing changed. Incoming mail is set to pop3 while sent is imap. Can see mails ok on Virgin web site.

Virgin have said in the past it must be my PC but then having down nothing the mails come through without me doing anything other than switching off and restarting.

Have spent hours on the web looking for solutions but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t receive mail on Pc

@Applewood wrote:

Incoming mail is set to pop3 while sent is imap.

That statement confuses me. It simply cannot be right. Smiley Surprised

IMAP and POP3 are the Internet mail protocols used for retrieving incoming emails. However, you can only use one or the other not both in the same account within Windows Live Mail.

SMTP is the standard protocol for sending emails. If you are able to send emails ok then you must be using SMTP for outgoing emails.

To be honest, rather than saying "Checked all settings etc and nothing changed" it would be better to post exactly what your current account settings are in Live Mail.

However, if you would like to check them yourself the correct settings are listed here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Applewood
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I think I understand your message. I’d said my outgoing mail was set to pop3 (in settings) and incoming mail was set to smtp. How my WLM is set up was how Virgin told me some years ago. Below is my current account settings:

My incoming mail server is a pop3 server

Incoming mail pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing Mail smtp.virginmedia.com

Advanced

Outgoing mail smtp 465

Incoming Mail pop3 995

I checked my settings against the link you sent me and it seems they are the same.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Applewood wrote:

I’d said my outgoing mail was set to pop3 (in settings) and incoming mail was set to smtp. 

Ok, it's just that your original post says "while sent is imap".Smiley Happy

Can you post the full wording of any error messages from Live Mail when you try to pick up your emails?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does Windows Live Mail have any setting for how often it retrieves emails?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Applewood
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. Sorry I can see my mistake now!

I’ve switched the pc off but will restart this evening and message you. It mainly keeps trying to connect to Virgin and says something like it can’t connect and do I want to wait 60 seconds or stop. Will check exact wording tonight.

Applewood
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your message. I think I see where you are coming from.

I’ve switched the pc off but will restart this evening and message you. It mainly keeps trying to connect to Virgin and says something like it can’t connect and do I want to wait 60 seconds or stop. Will check exact wording tonight.

WLM is set up to download mails from Virgin automatically when pc is switched on and yes as you say it checks for new mails every X number of minutes. I can also click on send/ receive icon on Home tab. None of these three seem to work. I’ve checked settings and all look set to carry these three functions out. Have I missed something 

0 Kudos
Applewood
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The short answer is in the error message 

A time out occurred while communicating with the server. WLM error code ID 0x800ccc19.

I googled this error code and a a lot reasons came up so I have a about 6 or 8 things to try. As I’m not good on most of these solutions I’m waiting for my son to come back .from holiday end this week to look at ! A common problem with this error can be anti virus, I have Norton.

i don’t know why I didn’t think to check out the error code before but your reply made me think of this ! Thanks again. I will message when if my son sorts it out

0 Kudos