Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Can't log in to virgin.net email

I have had a virgin.net email for many many years, last logged in about 24 hours ago.  Now I am getting "you have typed the wrong username or password".  I have not.  Any suggestions?  I am on holiday in SE Asia and would really rather not have to ring to sort this out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't log in to virgin.net email

I've been doing more reading about these problems and found lots of horrible similar stories.  I've read this https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

I had no idea about this.  I've never had a virgin broadband account (my account was set up by my then boss 20+ years ago, maybe my employer used it then) and I've never been warned that my account would be closed down.  This would be a huge personal disaster for me, there are documents on there I cannot recreate, email addresses for friends I have no other means of contacting etc.  20+ years of stuff, my only personal email address ever. 

I don't need a lecture about how I should have known (why should I have, nothing has changed?).  I'm not knowledgeable about this sort of thing.  I don't live in the UK any longer so taking out broadband is not an option.  Are there any ways I could get temporary access?  Throw myself on their mercy?  If so, who should I contact?  I've tried calling but got cut off and this is not being helped by being in a third world country with limited internet access right now.

Are there any virgin staff contactable through this community who could help me?  Please!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Webmail access is usually first to go when an "orphaned" email address is being closed but access through a client usually lasts a little longer. You will have to be quick though. Virgin Media will not help you to regain access as you are not a current broadband customer.

One option is to first check and confirm your email address is still active by going to www.mailtester.com

If it is, set up an email client (Thunderbird for example - other clients are available), see here for settings: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients and download all your emails so they are held locally.

NOTE: POP access will only download emails held in your INBOX, IMAP will give access to all folders you set to synchronise.

Set up an ISP independent email address (such as Gmail - others are available) and transfer all your usage to that.

Time is of the essence so do something now!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Can't get Thunderbird to work.
If I get a friend to sign up for broadband for me (presumably mobile broadband would be OK?) will Virgin be able to restore my email access?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@looo wrote:
Can't get Thunderbird to work.

Enter your virgin.net address here https://mailtester.com to see if it comes up as a valid email address.If it comes up as 'does not exist on this server', that's it I'm afraid. The account is gone for good.
If I get a friend to sign up for broadband for me (presumably mobile broadband would be OK?) will Virgin be able to restore my email access?
That's not an option I'm afraid.The VM email service is only available to VM fibre broadband customers, it is not part of the package for VM mobile customers. If the address is still live it is possible for VM to move it to another VM broadband customer's account if the customer agrees but it would replace their existing email addresses.
Coenoby
I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your replies.  MailTester shows the account is still open.

We downloaded Thunderbird and we put in the SMTP and POP3 addresses and the response was that the password was not correct so we can't download to Thunderbird.  Are we missing something?

I'm really unhappy about this as I was never warned of the problem.  Virgin - is there someone there who can help me please?

Also if I can get someone to sign up for a new broadband account (the house is empty) can that be done from Asia and in the timescale we have?

Many thanks to all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@looo wrote:

Virgin - is there someone there who can help me please?

I have noticed that one of the VM forum team has posted here a couple of times today so she may pick up on this thread today. That's all I can say.  😟

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 73
Flag for a moderator

"f the address is still live it is possible for VM to move it to another VM broadband customer's account if the customer agrees but it would replace their existing email addresses"

Right, the address is still live and I have a friend who is happy for me to move it to her broadband account.  How do we do that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 73
Flag for a moderator

How to link currently blocked but still active orphan email to current broadband account?

In this post - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 - ravenstar68 says

"I have an account can I get access to my email?

If you have a current broadband account then Virgin Media can ATTEMPT to link the old email address to your account if you so wish.  As explained above, this would result in any email addresses currently linked to the account being deleted though."

How does one get VM to do this?  Can it be done online?  Do you need to call, in which case which department or phone number?  Any help gratefully accepted...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to link currently blocked but still active orphan email to current broadband account?

And I should have said and if you do have to call, what do you say?  Pretend I am a four year old when you reply please!

My friend has set me up as a "member of our household".  Are we on the right track and if so, now what?

0 Kudos