cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get email working on Amazon fire tablet

HobGoblyn
On our wavelength

Hi

Trying to set up email on one of my wife’s elderly friends new Amazon fire tablet.

I can log on to virgins webmail on my iPad hence know email and password is correct.

——-
EDIT; Just tried adding it to my iPads email, no response from imap server or user/password wrong. Very weird 

——

Using imap

imap.virginmedia.com

Port 993

Accept all SSL certificates

smtp.virginmedia.com

Port 465

Accept all SSL certificates

(note, tried with both having accept all certificates ticked and tried without, same result)

The fire tablets email says

“Checking server settings”

“Unable to setup account”

“Message from your e-mail provider: E-mail address or password incorrect”

Tried again and it said “Unable to connect to server”, “ Unable to open server connection”

Tried downloading Outlook

Same settings

“Attempting to log in”

“The connection to your email server timed out. Please check your email settings”

Tried the fire email again, this time using pop3

“Message from your email provider

Email address or password incorrect

([AUTH]Authentication failed)’;

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

captainw5
Joining in

I have similar problem so you are unlikely to be doing anything wrong - webmail OK but imap won't connect. Reassured by virgin saying they are aware of problems, keep posting those messages virgin so we know you are working on it. For convenience, my workaround is to save a shortcut to the webmail page on my phone, so one tap opens it.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello HobGoblyn,

Sorry to hear of the issues with accessing the email on your friends tablet. You have mentioned that you're able to access it via your iPad, are you able to access it via webmail?

If so, can you try following these steps for your friends email account:

• Sign in to My Virgin Media
  • Go to Account settings, then Account details
  • Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
  • Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Get password
  • Continue the flow and a new secure password will be generated, and the mailbox unlocked
  • Update any third-party apps that may be use to access your Virgin Media Mail emails with this new app password.

Rob

I can access it GI webmail on iPad and on her fire tablet

I CANNOT access it by any email app on both my iPad and her fire tablet

Tried changing password twice, both times when I try setting up her email ap

”unable to connect to server, unable to open server connection”

also there’s no way she would cope entering the generated password with 4 words separated by -

It's difficult due to the current email issues to decipher if this is related or if it is a separate issue, the account works and is accessible on multiple other devices barring the Fire tablet so it may be a device issue. Are there other emails set up on the tablet that are working and accessible?

Rob

As I’ve said twice already, the account is NOT accessible using any device, it only works via webmail including the fire tablet 

email clients cannot access the email on any device.

My iPad email app can access my email, my gmail, my wife’s email etc but it won’t connect to thes ladies virginmedia email

Due to the recent issues we've had with our email service, there is a backlog of emails that are waiting to be sent out from our server, this may the reason you are getting the server error and connection issues. This should alleviate over time as the backlog is worked through.

Rob