Menu
peterfoster
Dialled in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can't get Email to talk to my Gmail Account

I wonder if someone could help me, please.

I'm running Windows Live Mail on my desktop and I am a Virgin customer. Whenever I log into WLM I have been able to download emails from all my email accounts at Virgin, Tiscali, Gmail and Blueyonder, 

This morning, I changed the password of my Gmail account on my mobile phone. I then went into email on my desktop and, as expected, was not able to connect with my Gmail account as I had changed the password! I saw the following error message.

Unable to send or receive messages for the pop.gmail.com account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your username and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.
Server: 'pop.gmail.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

So, as instructed by the error message, I tried to send and receive messages by entering my username (i.e. my Gmail account number) and my (new) Gmail password.

Sadly, I see the same error message as before. What am I doing wrong, please?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't get Virgin Email to talk to my Gmail Account

Hi Peterfoster, 

So you've changed the password for your Gmail account via your phone and it's not working when you're on your desktop? 

Have you been able to log in on the desktop version of Gmail using the new details? 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Maybe I'm missing something here, but despite the title this doesn't appear to have anything to do with Virgin Media.

Summing up the important bits.

1. You changed your Gmail account password.
2. You subsequently got an error message on Windows Live Mail on your desktop.
3. Changing your username and password on Windows Live Mail hasn't got you back in.

Despite it not being Virgin Media related it is email related, so I'll try and help nonetheless.

Here's the kicker:

by entering my username (i.e. my Gmail account number)

I've had a Gmail account for quite some time and Gmail has NEVER used an account number as the username.

The username is your full Google Email address.

Tim

P.S. Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by Microsoft.  I would recommend finding an alternative email program.  Also best use of an email client and Gmail (or any other account) is by using IMAP NOT POP3

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The obvious answer to this issue is that you need to change the e-mail password in WLM. You want the server tab in account properties for the Gamil account. Using the password dialogue is unlikely to enable you to connect. The issue has nothing to do with VM who are only acting as the carrier of the data to the GMail servers.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
peterfoster
Dialled in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello, Emma_C

Yes, I can  log in on the desktop version of Gmail using the new details.

0 Kudos
peterfoster
Dialled in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello, ravenstar68

When I say "Gmail Account Number" I mean my email address - viz - XXXXXXXX@gmail.com. Apologies for misleading you.

Apologies again for my request for help not being Virgin related but thank you for helping nonetheless.

Thanks for flagging that I need to change from WLM as is it no longer supported by Microsoft. I will get round to it but I feel somewhat inhibited about transferring all my stuff going back 18 years to an alternative email set-up. Re. your mention of using IMAP not POP3, are you saying that I need to do that to solve this particular issue? Thanks.

peterfoster
Dialled in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello, HowardML

Thanks for your suggestion to change the email password in WLM. I've opened WLM and have found the server tab for the Gmail account. I have updated the password and clicked "apply". Sadly, I still can't connect with Gmail. Does this mean that I'll never be able to connect with Gmail via WLM? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Well you should be able to. My wife uses the same set up and it works perfectly. Make sure you have the right username as well - which is your full GMail address.

But I do have one further suggestion. GMail is fussy about how it connects to ISPs and sometimes throws up a security error when using an e-mail client like WLM. Here is the guidance from Google about that. Your password change may have triggered this. And because you can connect to Gmail via web mail I think this is a highly likely explanation.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

and I have actually had to do this when setting up a Gmail account over EE for a friend.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
peterfoster
Dialled in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If I can remember my "old" Gmail password and went back into Google Gmail and changed the password back, would WLM be able to connect then - i.e. - will it still be trying to connect using the "old" password?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

This is a support Forum for Virgin Media e-mail issues. Your issue is with GMail not VM. I'm sorry  I am unable to advise further.  I've given you all the advice I can within my knowledge of how GMail works and how to set it up. Why won't you try what has been suggested (rhetorical question, no answer expected). Others may be able to help. GMail has its own support forums - Google for them.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks