cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access email on phone or PC

unicornpip
Tuning in

Unable to access email either to send or receive, and whether in Outlook, or on smartphone or in webmail via browser, where I get this useless message:

"Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices."

I've tried remedies on the forum which are mainly about clearing cookies but to no avail. This has gone on for days, with dysfunctional virgin on line help just sending me round in circles and demanding never ending logins. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To be completely fair and accurate, Virgin Media have deleted Virgin.net email accounts which are not correctly associated with a current Virgin Media broadband account, in line with their Terms and Conditions https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services section D:6

Any email address allocated by us to you will at all times belong to us and you may not transfer the address to any person.  If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you.

Also note the following:

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/virginmedia/dotcom/en/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy...

Section 6:5:

It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account. Upon suspension or termination of services the content may be removed and permanently deleted by Virgin Media without notice.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cance

Item 3

If you cancel your services we’ll give you access to your Virgin Media Mail account for 90 days before we close it. This should provide enough time for you to save any contacts, emails and files you wish to keep.

It's also worth noting Section 1:4 of the Acceptable Use Policy

We may amend, modify or substitute this AUP at any time. Your continued use of any Virgin Media services after any such amendment, modification or substitution constitutes your acceptance of any new AUP. We recommend that you visit our website regularly to check for any updates or amendments to this AUP.

This item puts the onus on the customer to be aware of exactly what their contract contains and how any changes to that contract may affect them.

There is also a "sticky" post from August 2017 here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 which provides further informaton.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

unicornpip
Tuning in

I've no idea about the hacking bit but your experience with no access to email mirrors mine. Can't send email, can't receive email, can't view email on the webmail page, and get that stupid "try again in an hour message". Have tried deleting all cookies and browsing data in Chrome. No change. Been going on for several days now.  Before that the emai lservice was pretty awful, no email for a couple of days then it would all appear at once. 

Hi @unicornpip

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

When logging onto your email via MyVM, what exactly happens? Do you get an error message right now?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Travis_M  The error message is quoted in the middle paragraph of the first post in the thread.

It is the standard 'mailbox unavailable etc'

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

unicornpip_0-1627050279791.png

Here it is

suemevans3
Joining in

The same has happened to me with the same message. Virgin have deleted Virgin.net emails maybe they have done the same with yours

To be completely fair and accurate, Virgin Media have deleted Virgin.net email accounts which are not correctly associated with a current Virgin Media broadband account, in line with their Terms and Conditions https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services section D:6

Any email address allocated by us to you will at all times belong to us and you may not transfer the address to any person.  If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you.

Also note the following:

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/virginmedia/dotcom/en/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy...

Section 6:5:

It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account. Upon suspension or termination of services the content may be removed and permanently deleted by Virgin Media without notice.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cance

Item 3

If you cancel your services we’ll give you access to your Virgin Media Mail account for 90 days before we close it. This should provide enough time for you to save any contacts, emails and files you wish to keep.

It's also worth noting Section 1:4 of the Acceptable Use Policy

We may amend, modify or substitute this AUP at any time. Your continued use of any Virgin Media services after any such amendment, modification or substitution constitutes your acceptance of any new AUP. We recommend that you visit our website regularly to check for any updates or amendments to this AUP.

This item puts the onus on the customer to be aware of exactly what their contract contains and how any changes to that contract may affect them.

There is also a "sticky" post from August 2017 here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 which provides further informaton.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hi Suemevans3,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your Email looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

I have been unable to locate an active account for you whilst using your community info on your profile, can I ask if you are still a Virgin Media customer with active services?

If not, I am afraid the info Sololobo has provided is correct - your email would have been deleted 90 days after your services were disconnected. 

Unfortunately, there is no way to re-activate an email once this has been done. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Megan_L  Please could you revisit the problems that the originator of this thread @unicornpip is having.

Unfortunately this thread has been hijacked by another user suemevans3 who already has a thread for their issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Unicornpip,  

Thanks for coming back to us with that snapshot of the error message you're receiving. 

I am sorry your mailbox is saying "Not Available" at the moment, my first port of call would be the same as Suemevans3's. 

Are you a current Virgin Media customer with active services? 

I also have a helpful link here for email issues for you and anyone else who may be looking at this post for email issues - Email Issue Support

Please let us know, we will try to help as much as possible!

Thanks,

Megan_L