cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access VM mailboxes via webmail

tvfan
On our wavelength

For a few weeks now I have been unable to view my Virgin Media mailboxes via webmail. 

The mailboxes show a warning triangle and the message ‘The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them.’

I haven’t seen anything from VM regarding this issue or changes to webmail access.

I can still view my old blueyonder mailbox.

Can someone tell me how to resolve this please? This seems to have started since the big email outage. Is it a known issue, or do I need to update details?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tvfan That is good news as it shows that the email address is still active. 

If you want to continue accessing it via your primary account you still should be able to do so.  You would need to generate an app specific password for the email address concerned and use that in the settings for the additional account when using the unified view in webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this thread for instructions as to how to resolve the issue with viewing additional accounts when added to a webmail account of a different email address.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Emails-not-working/m-p/5395603#M265535

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

tvfan
On our wavelength

Thanks Graham. I’ve given this a try today, however, when I enter the new app generated password as my email password, I receive the error message ‘The provided password seems to be wrong or something bad happened’. I’ve tried multiple times to make sure it wasn’t my typo. Any other suggestions please?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tvfan  What happens if you try to access the email address concerned directly in VM webmail rather than through the account showing the error.

To check this sign out of the current account and then log in to the email address concerned at https://mail.virginmedia.com/

You will need to use the email address and the current webmail password for the account not the generated app password.

tvfan
On our wavelength

Thank you so much Graham.

I’ve successfully logged in to the emails directly. I can’t believe after all these years, I didn’t realise I could do that! I thought I could only access the other mailboxes via my original Blueyonder log in. 

Every day is a school day so they say 😉

Thanks again

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tvfan That is good news as it shows that the email address is still active. 

If you want to continue accessing it via your primary account you still should be able to do so.  You would need to generate an app specific password for the email address concerned and use that in the settings for the additional account when using the unified view in webmail.