cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Send Mail from an ntlworld email account

Martstar
Joining in

Hi,

I hope you can help me with me email issue?

I'm a Virginmedia broadband customer.

I can receive email on my phone and laptop but I can't send any mail. This started on my phone and now affects my laptop too. It is the same on other wi-fi networks (in addition to my home network) or when using mobile data.
I am, however, able to send mail from webmail.

When the issue started with my phone I removed my email account, reset my password, waited >30 minutes and then added my account back but this didn't solve the issue.

Please help or advise me of the solution as I can't find anything online that solves this issue.

Many thanks,

Martin

22 REPLIES 22

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I don’t know how to do this on an iPhone or a MacBook Air as those are the devices I’m using.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On MacBook Air open Terminal application instead of Command Shell.

From what I can tell, it looks like the error is “Authentication Denied (VM305)”

No idea why this would be the case when I can log in to webmail and send and receive from there?

And, just to add, I've browsed some other posts for the VM305 issue and then checked DuckDuckGo.com for my IP address and it states that "Your IP address is unavailable" for both devices I am having problems with.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Martstar wrote:
And, just to add, I've browsed some other posts for the VM305 issue and then checked DuckDuckGo.com for my IP address and it states that "Your IP address is unavailable" for both devices I am having problems with.

This would indicate you are using a service to anonymise your public IP Address and because it is shared amongst users if one or more users are abusing the service to send spam resulting in Spamhaus listing then Virgin Media's SMTP server will deny access.

Yes, you are correct, I’ve a mesh set up in the house.

I’ve since found out my virgin media ip is logged on spamhaus so I now need to determine the cause.

Thanks for you help, your advice has pointed me in the right direction.

spamhaus have replied.
Do you know if Virginmedia's ip addresses are static or dynamic as that will depend on next steps?
I need to deny outbound traffic on port 25 but I've no idea how to do that.
My virgin media router is set up as a modem with an Eero device plugged into the modem and I can't see any where where I can change a port on the Eero.

I've now found out the following from spamhaus

"Where it is possible to request removal, we will help you through the process. However, if your IP is listed on the Spamhaus Blocklist (SBL), removal can only be requested by your Internet Service Provider (ISP)."
How do I get Virginmedia to request my IP is removed from the blacklist.
Other than this forum I can't find any way of contacting virginmedia to discuss the issue. So frustrating.